What's new

Drew Estate BOTL 2012

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0

This is a review of the BOTL™ / Drew Estate 2012 Cigar.

Pre Light: This cigar has a beautiful dark and oily wrapper with very minimal veins. Construction is excellent and has no sign of any tight or loose spots throughout. The smell reminds me of a pouch of Red Man Chewing tobacco, but far more pleasant. It has scents of earth, tobacco and a sweet smell to the cigar.

Light: Trying to give this smoke the respect it deserved, it was lit with two splints of cedar. One, to toast the foot, then cut, then one to gently bring it to life. I immediately tasted the sweetness of the oily wrapper as it hit my lips, I was hit with a pleasant earthy note that brought through with fresh tobacco flavor. There was only a slight hint of black pepper on the back end once lit.

First Fifth: This review is broken down into fifths as it was quite a long smoke. I got more earthy and fresh tobacco flavors, still only a slight bit of black pepper on the back end of the throat. For those of you who like the flavor of the OR #9, you will be pleased as I was getting that same signature sweetness that is a signature of the OR #9. True to Drew Estate fashion, this smoke delivered with a lot of smoke, however it was proportionate to its ring gauge and is not overtaking like its larger brothers. There was also a faint "meaty" flavor that kept you wanting more, with a slight sweetness of cashew hidden in there.

Second Fifth: So far the construction lived up to the pre-light and produced a perfect burn with nice snowflake and ribbed white and black ash. In this section I continued to get more of the OR #9 sweetness, fresh tobacco and earthy flavors. It was still producing a slight bit of black pepper on the back end, but to a smaller extent. I still got a slight hint of cashew and picked up on a little bit of black cherry as well. Looking back, I think this is the sweet-spot of the cigar and was very nice.

Third Fifth: The cigar continued with the core sweet and earthy tobacco of the smoke as the ash continued to fall off in increments of at least one inch, thanks to the quality construction. Toward the end of this segment it did produce a slightly bitter note that will no doubt go away with a short period of time. It continued to produce large quantities of smoke and burned perfectly throughout.

Forth and Fifth-Fifths: I ended up putting it down due to time and family commitments.

Final Thoughts: The flavors would go perfectly with a nice peaty scotch, like Laphroaig. For the beer drinkers, I think a stout would be a perfect pairing with this smoke. Both libations would compliment the earthy tobacco flavors and add to the warm feeling that was brought forth while smoking this fine cigar. It produced a relatively long smoking experience due to the fine construction that Drew Estate delivered with this excellent example of a mild-medium bodied smoke. All in all...A MUST TRY.

For more detailed information go to: http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php/61320-Drew-Estate-BOTL%E2%84%A2-2012-Cigar

Thanks for reading,

TG

Note: Cigar Consumed Mid-March 2012 (pre-release)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
Thanks for the review! These have been aging for 8 months, ( I think I read that in the other thread ) so I'm not sure where the bitterness came from. May still be early. Looking forward to smoking these!

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Thanks for the review! These have been aging for 8 months, ( I think I read that in the other thread ) so I'm not sure where the bitterness came from. May still be early. Looking forward to smoking these!
I forgot to mention it in the review (now added), but this was reviewed right after Federal Cigar's 91st anniversary (Mid March). No doubt that the additional two + months have taken care of any off flavor that I may have tasted. That said, it was also only for about a quarter of an inch, then went away.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Thanks for the review bro! I'm a little concerned about the Mild-Med aspect of it seeing how I prefer a Fuller profile in my cigars. I may need to try one before I buy if that's the case.
I love the ol Red Man comparison. Been years sense I've knawed on that stuff.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Nice review Tommy. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was a little surprised you found it mild-medium. For me, it hits me medium-full to full.
Thanks for the review bro! I'm a little concerned about the Mild-Med aspect of it seeing how I prefer a Fuller profile in my cigars. I may need to try one before I buy if that's the case.
I love the ol Red Man comparison. Been years sense I've knawed on that stuff.
Yo Ciggy... read Podman's comment above. You should buy a box before they are gone! :)

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
trying to recall back to when I took down these notes, I was perhaps a little worn out on the palate with the HERF weekend. I remember tons of flavor and smoke that was "mild" in the sense that it did not overpower you or knock you on the ass, rather quite pleasant and flavorful. Take out the title of "Mild-Med" that I put in there and I think the rest of the review shows that it has plenty of flavor. I don't think you will be disappointed if you like a fuller profile. Hope that helps to clarify.