What's new

Drew Estate bought by Swisher

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I get it, I get all of it...

I get JD keeping silent about it. I get people are mad about 'how he kept silent'. I get why people are scared/angry about DE being bought by a bigger company. Most importantly, I get why they did it now.
Let me be the first person to say that I respect JD as a cigar guy. What he's done for the industry is nothing short of incredible, and after spending some time with him, it was clear he has an obvious passion for the industry and for his fans.

What really rankles me (and forgive me if I'm repeating myself) is not that JD denied things or "kept silent" (he pretty much had to deny the rumors) but he came out and used Kiki Berger's death as a tool to make his denial believable, which was not only unnecessary, but completely over the line IMHO. I get he's a down-to-earth guy who's not got a lot of filter (which is in large part what made him and Saka such approachable and like-able guys to begin with), but a half-second of reflection should have shown him it was a bad idea to make that part of his denial.

Even if he had said "...and I don't appreciate people spreading rumors" at the end of that point, it would have been a lot better. But he didn't, he used the word "lies." Instead of calling out a behavior (spreading of rumors), he called out the person and attacked the person's character, using his grief about Kiki to further the impression of a violation on the part of the person spreading the rumor.

It took the statement from a denial to an attack, and that's not a problem with a filter, that's a problem with JD's decision on how to approach the situation. It's not like he said something that could be misinterpreted, or misconstrued. He deliberately attacked another person's integrity and character. That's the part that really rubs me the wrong way.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I get JD keeping silent about it. I get people are mad about 'how he kept silent'. I get why people are scared/angry about DE being bought by a bigger company. Most importantly, I get why they did it now.
Let me be the first person to say that I respect JD as a cigar guy. What he's done for the industry is nothing short of incredible, and after spending some time with him, it was clear he has an obvious passion for the industry and for his fans.

What really rankles me (and forgive me if I'm repeating myself) is not that JD denied things or "kept silent" (he pretty much had to deny the rumors) but he came out and used Kiki Berger's death as a tool to make his denial believable, which was not only unnecessary, but completely over the line IMHO. I get he's a down-to-earth guy who's not got a lot of filter (which is in large part what made him and Saka such approachable and like-able guys to begin with), but a half-second of reflection should have shown him it was a bad idea to make that part of his denial.

Even if he had said "...and I don't appreciate people spreading rumors" at the end of that point, it would have been a lot better. But he didn't, he used the word "lies." Instead of calling out a behavior (spreading of rumors), he called out the person and attacked the person's character, using his grief about Kiki to further the impression of a violation on the part of the person spreading the rumor.

It took the statement from a denial to an attack, and that's not a problem with a filter, that's a problem with JD's decision on how to approach the situation. It's not like he said something that could be misinterpreted, or misconstrued. He deliberately attacked another person's integrity and character. That's the part that really rubs me the wrong way.

Well said. I have no issue with him selling, great for him and hopefully he gets a giant pile of money for his hard work. Just sucks that he had to sully the process by going about it the way he did.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0

What he said... He owes an apology that is just what it is. He has done a lot for everyone. Maybe he is human and his emotions got the best of him but it was a big screw up none the less.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0

I don't know JD, nor do I know any of these other folks, but I do understand that in times of grief, your decision making process may be less than stellar. I don't think attacking was his plan, I think it was a lashing out.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I don't know JD, nor do I know any of these other folks, but I do understand that in times of grief, your decision making process may be less than stellar. I don't think attacking was his plan, I think it was a lashing out.
Fair enough...

What he said... He owes an apology that is just what it is. He has done a lot for everyone. Maybe he is human and his emotions got the best of him but it was a big screw up none the less.
...and let me be the first to say that if he apologizes and owns his mistake, I'll be the first one to respect him for having done so. We all make mistakes, it's the handling of the mistake once it's been realized (or pointed out) that makes the difference.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Fair enough...

...and let me be the first to say that if he apologizes and owns his mistake, I'll be the first one to respect him for having done so. We all make mistakes, it's the handling of the mistake once it's been realized (or pointed out) that makes the difference.
An apology? JD doesn't owe anyone an apology. It won't stop anyone here who was offended by his misstep from buying his products. He isn't our friend.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
JD doesn't owe anyone an apology. It won't stop anyone here who was offended by his misstep from buying his products. He isn't our friend.
Those are two different things. I'm not saying he needs to apologize to get people to buy his stuff. I'm just saying he owes the guy an apology.

A misstep won't prevent most from buying his product, but that doesn't mean he doesn't owe an apology to the guy whose character he attacked.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I would say he owes MadMax from cigarnut (or whatever blog that was) an apology. He used a man's death as a way to smear the man's name. Yeah, I'd say he owes him an apology.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys and gals, it's always about the money. That's why they are in the business, money. Grab the cash and then come out with a new company/cigar with the rep you created. PERIOD.
JD is no different IMO. Get a premium brand and rep, sell at the peak, and rinse/repeat. GET RICH on the fanboi's backs, it's what works for Pete, Ernie, etc. etc. All I have to say about that is GOOD JOB!

If you like the smokes and can pay the cash, go for it! :applause::applause: Saka knows good smokes, he will probably make more at a premium $$. Why not? Make yer living on cigars? I wish I could!

If you feel betrayed, stop buying the hype. :glassesgr

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I had a talk with a good friend and now understand a little better about why things happened the way they did. I wish DE the best, I really do. I was just upset how things went down but I'm not sure if the situation could of turned out different. The truth is sometimes business is not for the faint of heart.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sadly as i stated somewhere before..... When the statement was first stated is that I think he wanted to do the events he had already lined up and enjoy his time as everyone knew hiim without having to tell everyone that yes he sold his company. I had a feeling that something like this would go down When Swisher sued DE over a name and then 3 years later it is done. I think this has been in the works for some time. I am just blown away when I hear all the money and assets that were taken from one of Swishers high ups. Even a Loan to Drew. I knew something was going to go down before long. Well just glad to hear it was true and isn't any longer a rumor. I hope everyone made out and not just a deal to wash the hands of some bad deal gone bad.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I could care less and why do you think everyone jumped ship the last two years? They are saying it's news to them, like Steve Saka. yeah right and Drew Estates didn't rip off Lars Tetens in the 90's , I know. They were also in bed with Goldman of Swisher and we know how corrupt he is . or do we. I know again Drew Estates didn't know a thing. I've got some prime ocean front property for sale in Kansas also. Anyone want to buy it. The tobacco business is generally dirty across the board. It's not Drew Estates, it's the nature of an unethical business on the sweat of third world slave labor. Welcome to the cigar business people !!! That's why I got out of it in the 90's. I like cigars but not the business. Blessings !!!!

aroma

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The denial was brief and, I think, carefully worded. He said he doesn't "appreciate this guy spreading lies." When I first read it, I assumed "this guy" referred to whoever leaked the info to CigarNut. It's very possible that the leak contained incorrect information, maybe even deliberately incorrect information, in which case, the characterization of it as "lies" would be correct.

Last edited:

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
When he was referring to lies I am pretty sure he wasn't talking about the buyout. I think it was more of the other statements. I believe that was posted on Cats and he was upset over the fact that it was stated they'd cancel the acids and some other rumors. I may be wrong.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I guess Im stupid.. but.. Im not seeing a problem with JD's message at all...

the OP stated DE was sold (the thread title is Drew Estate BOUGHT by Swisher)... at the time of JD's statement, this was not truthful.... DE and Swisher may have struck a deal.. but.. until ink is on the contract.. the sale is not final, and Swisher did not own DE yet.. in fact.. the sale still isnt final.. according to the CA article they dont expect it to finalize until the end of the year..

this may sound like a technicality.. but both Marvin and JD are lawyers.. technicalities.... especially technicalities in contracts... particularly in contracts potentially worth millions of dollars.. mean something to lawyers..

As has also been identified in previous posts.. we also dont have an understanding of the full context of JD's statement.. its a cut and paste from another conversation.. it is very well possible that he is referring to another "lie" or misrepresentation (something happening to the Acid line.. or anything else)...

And.. I dont doubt for a minute that JD was grieving over Kiki's death.. anyone that knows the story of DE knows the role Kiki played in DE's early days and how the relationship between he and JD played such a critical part to DE's initial ability to break into the industry..

I dont see him using the event of Kiki's death as a manipulation.. or some sort of tool to make his story more believable at all..

I believe he was factual in his statement (all points).. and that he was grieving over his friend.. and he sincerely didnt want to deal with a bunch of BS flying around or have to answer questions about all of this when he had greater issues to deal with..

At the end of the day.. why does any of it matter? Either you like DE's products.. or you dont... either you like JD.. or you dont.. if this one incident is enough for you to change your entire position on either the company or on JD.. then you werent much of a loyalist or a friend to begin with.. and your changed position probably doesnt matter much to either DE or JD anyway..

What does the future bring with the change in ownership... who knows.. its all speculation at this point...

but.. to believe JD owes us, or anyone else a public apology.. when there is nothing that can be proven to be incorrect in his statement.. is asinine.. (do any of you really believe that a successful businessman and former attorney that has worked for decades in a very litigious and liability soaked industry is going to make a kindergarten level mistake that would expose him and his company to liability.. in either the civil courts.. or the court of public opinion?)..

give the guy (and the company) a break.. Im guessing the last couple of months have been a bit stressful for them between trying to finalize a multi million dollar deal, loosing close friends (to both JD and the company), trying to keep their business running, heavily supporting BOTL directly (full staff on hand helping us during OE).. and everything else going on..

Last edited: