What's new

Drew Estate Java

M

Michael Davis

I'm new to the forum but I've been smoking cigars for a few years now. I smoke one or two a week, so I'm no hardcore expert. Just someone who enjoys the reflective ritual of smoking.

I discovered D.E. Java through this board at some point, and it has turned out to be one of my favorites for an afternoon smoke with coffee alone on the front porch. It's the first cigar of which I've actually purchased a box.

I'm generally turned off by flavored smokes - I tried all 6 CAO flavors, and though Eileen's Dream was ok, I wasn't into the rest. They all smelled incredible unlit, but once I started to smoke I always got sort of a menthol taste that I didn't like.

At least for me, Java is different in that it smells great in the box, like cocoa or chocolate, but once I light up I don't really taste that anymore. It just gets that nice toasted wood taste. It burns well, not too hot, and the ash holds up even on the wafe (the flat as a pancake shape). Lots of nice thick, almost bluish smoke. It stays this way through the 1st half of the cigar...the second half gets a little harsher, and I'll usually have to touch up the burn once or twice. By the time I'm getting toward the band there's a lot less smoke, and the taste gets noticeably harsher. But that first half is just great, and more than worth it.

I think if you're looking for something that's one notch below a traditionally flavored cigar, but with something extra that goes great with coffee, this is a good one to try.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Welcome to the site! I've had 1 Java and it wasn't that overpowering for a flavored cigar.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have a secret stash with wafes in it and a few Javas for that really starnge urge.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the group :applause: Javas are the only flavored cigar that I will smoke (on occasion). Just be sure to keep them in a separate humidor from your other cigars. If you have already put them in a cedar-lined humidor, you should make that your designated Java humidor and get another for your unflavored sticks. Otherwise, they will all start smelling and tasting vaguely like Javas!

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Michael, try a kahlua cigar, also made by drew esates. I love them.
I've tried all the different Javas and really enjoy them all (sizes) I don't enjoy flavored cigars like the cao flavors. But I really like the drew estate offerings like the Java, kahlua, and even some of the acids are very very good

Donk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Java's are outstanding. Unlike many other flavored cigars (Havanna Honeys, Phillies etc.), the Drew Estate flavoreds seem to be made of really quality tobacco. I like them quite a bit but certainly I have to be in the mood. Sometimes a cigar just needs to be a cigar. Other times, a little 'non-cigar' flavor is nice.