What's new

Drew Estate Nica Rustica Review

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Drew Estate Nica Rustica (Pre-Release) Review
Details:
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Mediums
Binder: Mexican San Andreas Negro
Filler: Grade A Nicaraguan (Esteli & Jalapa)
Strength: Medium/Full
Size: 6x52

++Important Notice: This is a pre-release version of the Nica Rustica. It was a sample that came to us from the IPCPR show this year. With that in mind, this cigar might not be exactly like the one that is released in a few months. A lot of times small changes will happen to a cigar right before its release so read this review with this factoid in mind. Also, this was smoked the day it came back from the show so it probably didn’t have the proper time to acclimate to the climate change from Las Vegas to Dallas Tx. Some of the issues presented below may have been caused by that dramatic change in climate.++
Pre-light:
True to its name the Nica Rustica is very Rustic looking with its toothy, dark, splotchy wrapper. Veins are prominent and they lead your eye to the closed foot and the stubby tail at the cap that is similar to what DE did with the Papas Fritas. The band is very brightly colored with Yellow and Red jumping out at you and slapping you in the face, a precognition of things to come. After a quick snip of the tail, the cold draw brings little flavor, a slight spice is really all it brings to the picture but that is more than likely due to the closed foot present. I will admit that after I did the cold draw I said “duh..closed foot” in my head.
First Third:
Immediately after lighting the cigar your eye balls will be accosted with that signature Drew Estate thick wall of wandering smoke. You will also get a healthy dose of sweet spice on the tongue that is just fantastic. I was expecting the retrohale to be full of peppery spice but instead I got the same sweetness from the Maduro wrapper along with a slight caramel creaminess. Dark coffee flavors are prominent through the first third along with that Maduro sweetness. Apparently I didn’t toast the whole foot or the cigar was slightly wet because I burned through the first few minutes without the wrapper burning at all causing a small tunnel. After a slight correction, all was well. So far this is a very bold, strong cigar with tons of flavor.
Second Third:
At this point I am thinking this is the BEST Drew Estate product I have smoked in a long time. In this price range the Undercrown Viva is my favorite DE product but I have to tell you, at this point, this cigar kicks that to the curb. I am really enjoying the bold flavors that the Nica Rustica brings to the playing field. The cigar has mellowed a bit in the second third but there is still a ton of flavor. The burn is a bit wavy but that just goes along with the charm of this cigar. It is Rustic, its ugly with a wavy burn line but the flavor curb stomp on your palate makes it all worth it. Nothing much has changed second third beyond the strength moving down a notch but it is still a great smoke. The smoke coming out of this cigar RIVALS any other Drew Estate I have smoked and it is ghostly white and as thick as a puff of cotton. During the review I had a hard time seeing my friend across the table because of the amount of smoke gathering around us.
Last Third:
The strength has returned at the end of the last third bringing to the sweet flavor blasted profile a heavy dose of pepper. For those of you that like that KICK at the end of a cigar, you are in for a treat. For those of you that tend to shy away from black pepper in cigars, you might want to put it down about halfway through the last third. Even if you DO wimp out and don’t make it to the end of this cigar, the overall experience is one that will stick with you because this is a memorable cigar.
Final Thoughts:
This will easily be a go to cigar for me between the mountains of flavor, the visual beauty of the smoke and the killer $6.95 price point make this cigar a no brainer. I am looking forward to getting a box of these and smoking up half and seeing how the rest age. Drew Estate has another winner in their collection. It amazes me how much of my cooler is filled with Drew Estate Products, between the Undercrowns, Liga Privada, Herrera Esteli and now the Nica Rustica, I might need another cooler soon.
Here are a few more pics for you, the pics are only from the Pre-Light because I was doing a podcast while reviewing this so I wasn't able to stop and take pictures:

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Great review and much in line with what I wrote earlier this week when I reviewed it:

Immediately, I could tell that this was a unique cigar - and one that will be extremely popular. I'm not a huge fan of Undercrown outside of the Corona Viva, but I'd take this any day over a UC (the Viva is admittedly a close call for me), and, considering the price point, I'd probably go to this 7 times out of 10 over a Liga (that's not to say its better than the Liga, just that it is very good and, at a much lower price point, will attract me more). Really interesting flavor profile - like chocolate and nutty at the same time with a little spice. Legitimately unlike anything else I've ever smoked and I'm curious to not only hear what others think when they smoke it, but see how the flavors develop over time. These are expected to start hitting stores in October and I cannot wait as I can see this become part of my regular rotation!

Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I will have to add this had one of the most unique and awesome pre-light wrapper taste... not cold smoke, just the taste of the wrapper that I have ever experienced.

It's a winner for sure.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Can't wait to try these, they sound awesome! Thanks for the review!
Cant wait for these. Love love love the closed foot
Great review, I can't wait to try those. I hope DE keeps the pigtail and the closed foot for the final production.
Can't state enough how good the overall package looks. Love the pig tail and closed foot with the wrapper and the band. If it tastes half as good as it looks and sounds I'd pull the trigger on a box.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Let's just hope it doesn't change, a few years back Gran Habano introduced their Azteca at the IPCPR. It was received well with a ton of preorders, in fact it did so well that GH dropped both the 3 SLS and Cabinet lines. By the time it hit the shelves the blend had gone through 3 changes, the cigar once a $9 stick can be found for less than $4 if you search around. Big disappointment for Gran Habano not to mention the 3 SLS fans.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I want these so bad, I can taste em. I mean, not really, I don't know for sure what they taste like, but... you know what I mean...

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Can't wait for these cigars to hit the shelves. J Dizzle said he's keeping the blend and wrapper the same on these. Said the IPCPR sticks are the production sticks. Let's hope he's right because your review sounds like a homerun.

Jadawin

Drew Estate Cigars
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Nice review! I love how this blend turned out and I can't wait for them to start hitting shelves

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Great review and pictures. Nice to see the price isn't crazy...can't wait to try it.