What's new

Dry boxing cigars

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have seen this posted on some forums but it has never been explained. I am guessing you store the cigar in a cedar box or any box? For how long?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You put the cigars in an unhumidified humidor or cigar box for a day to a few days (depending on your preference, I suppose) before you smoke it.

I know some do this with CCs, Pepins, and Fuentes- they apparently taste better with some drying.

I've found that all my cigars smoke well at 65%ish. So, I don't personally drybox. I might try it someday though.

MadBear

The Original Angry Animal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dry box the cigars I have in my 70% Humidor. I'll select the ones I'll choose from the day before and put them in a Baggie or the 3 Finger Pouch (Depending on how many I think I'm going to smoke and or where I'm going. I figure this brings them down to about 65 - 62%. Perfect for carrying then smoking.

I never used the term dry boxing though... I just call it Picking the Cigars I May Want to Smoke.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have done it from time to time. I don't have a actual drybox. But if I get a stick or a couple of sticks that are somwhat wet, or slightly plugged. I will pop them into a dry box and leave them for a day or two. Sometimes with plugs it works and sometimes it doesn't. But if your sticks are slightly wet for your smoking taste, that is where a drybox comes in handy. Of try bringing the humi down to 62-65% humidity too.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I have seen this posted on some forums but it has never been explained. I am guessing you store the cigar in a cedar box or any box? For how long?
I dry box all the time. You simply place your cigars in an unhumidified container for a couple of days prior to smoking.

The intent is to prevent any draw problems associated with over humidification.

I hope this helps

~Mark

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for all of the replies. I am in the process of converting 2 of my humis to 65% beads, mostly with pepins, tats and the like. Some of my smokes have been a bit wet for my taste at 70%. I will try this next time I plan on smoking, I have a two stick otterbox I can use.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dry box cigars all the time.I go to my local shorite and buy empty cigar boxes 25 cents - 75 cents depending on the box.They work great I have them allover the place.I like my cigars on the drier side,seems that the flavors are more alive when cigars are smoked in the low 60's.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Dry boxing works very well especially for those cigars that tend to have a tight draw. Dry boxing is the main reason I carry 60% Heartfelt Beads, they work great in a dry box so the rh does not drop too low.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I need to dig out my old 100ct humi that did not seal well and use it as a dry box this winter. Most of my coolidors use KL for humidification are 67%-68% RH and do seem to be tight right after removal for smoking.