What's new

Dryer Help

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Been experiencing a problem with our dryer for about a month. It is a 10 year old GE electric dryer.

It takes about 3 times as long to dry clothes in it as of late. The timer will end, and we have to reset it atleast once or twice more before they are dry. The weird thing is, if I stop it during the cycle and open it, I can feel the heat so I assume the element is working.

On a side note, I am talking normal size loads. Just my wife and myself so we are not overloading it by any means.

Any ideas? Do they have more than 1 element? Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

David

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I don't know a lot about this kind of thing but one thing you should check is the duct that leads out of the house. If that has blockages it can make a dryer not work properly.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had a similar problem in my old condo. It could be a couple things that I know of. What happend at my place was exactly how you explain except I actually took my heating element out and bought a new one. When that didnt work I finally went up to the attic space where the dryer vent expells the heat and found the construction workers had left a piece of screen over the opening and over time the lint built up and caused the vent to clog. If no heat gets expelled the dryer will not dry fast. That solved my prob.

Another thing you could do is buy one of those dryer snakes from Home Depot (inexpensive) and snake it up the vent. Lint could have just built up around the vent and needs cleaned.

Hope that helped bro.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
First run a snake up your exhaust line, make sure it is not plugged anywhere, birds nests, things like that...Make sure you lint trap is clean, and the area inside the trap is free of debris. If this fails, its time to start replacing thermostats...Your dryer probably has 3, and they range in from from about 1.50-4.00 so it won't be to expensive to try all three. Check your exhaust and what not first, and if that hasn't solved the probs, I will dig up some detailed instructions on the thermostats for you. It definately is NOT the element if the dryer is heating and staying warm..On a side note, currently at Lowes you can save 10% and get free delivery of a new dryer

Andrew :thumbsup:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
How 'bout a new dryer ya cheap bastid! :eyepoke: And make sure to give it to your wife for her b-day :headroll: :blushlove

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I thought you were having problems with your hair dryer when I saw the title of the thread. :dunno:

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
I have a good dryer story! A couple years ago, I was on the roof putting up Christmas lights when the wife came out and said the dryer was not working. So I told her, to go buy a new one. She went down the the store, bought a nice dryer and later in the day the guys came to deliver it. After they installed it the guy came out and says the new one won't turn on. OH OH, I go the the fuse box and the breaker had been tripped! I should have gotten off the roof and checked it out before I told her to go get a new one! Boy did I feel stupid!! :headroll: :headroll: :headroll: :wtf: