What's new

DSLR help!

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
So Ive been looking to upgrade to a DSLR camera. Ive always used SLR camera specifically Canon. So basially im looking for a entry level DSLR. I dont need to use it for professinal reasons, just bs's photos. Id like to, however, be able to take nice Macro shots of my reef tank. The rest of the time will probably be taking shots of the family and outdoor shots. I have a bunch of Nikon stuff some old some new, lenses and bodies and stuff. How do the price of this stuff? Should I stick with Canon since I have lenses that are compatible with a DSLR? Any help is appreciated.

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I use [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-Macro-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0007WK8KS"]Amazon.com: Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Digital SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E598Y8GZL.@@AMEPARAM@@51E598Y8GZL[/ame] lens. It's amazing for crop frames.

For the price, Nikon has definitely mastered low light, but I don't know if there's a bad choice. Just make sure that your lenses are actual compatible.

Pic I shot in the DR...

Psojka RP,601

This place IS my vacation
Rating - 94.7%
19   1   0
I'm a photographer and a Canon guy. my first camera was the new Canon rebel T1i. entry level price, but some very impressive specs. very user friendly and a nice lens comes in the kit. it will handle some basic macro shots that you want to do. overall great camera for a starter and like i said: Professional quality with a great price. Canon made these for the everyday user and made the body a little lighter and less durable. however dont let that scare you away. its a wonderful system. i think youll love it.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t1i_ef_s_18_55mm_is_kit

of course, much like computers, the t2i just came out. didnt impress me. specs are a little better, same lens, and a 300 dollar price increase. the T1i is the way to go.

Feel free to PM me any other questions you might have...always willing to help another photographer :) id be happy to send you some pics ive shot with mine as well :)

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I shoot mainly with the T1i, I would either get the T2i (no need for the T3i) or the 60D, all are great cameras, but it just depends on what you are doing. If you have other lenses, I would recommend skipping the kit, just get the body. The kit lens is versatile, but something like a 50mm 1.8 or the aforementioned lens will do most of what the kit could do.

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I bought the Canon EOS Rebel Xsi as entry level camera. I love it. If you move on to a better camera down the road, the lens can still be used.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I bought myself a Canon T2i a few months ago and have absolutely loved it. Its a great entry level camera, I am not sure why Paul thinks its not better than the T1i, it has 3(?) more megapixels and cand shoot HD video at 30fps.

I also had some older (think 80s-90s) lenses that I wanted to make work. After all the reading and research I did I found that you could buy an adapter for $20ish but everyone says that its not completely worth it because modern dslr glass is so much better. If your lenses are newer, obviously they may not be as crappy as mine were lol.

The T3i is basically the same camera (with an identical msrp) but it has the benefit of the swivel screen.

I have also looked into macro lenses and would love to get one, IF I could afford one lol. A good macro lense cannot be had on the cheap (or what I would consider cheap anyway). I ended up getting kenko extension tubes to be used with my non macro lenses. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kenko-Auto-Extension-Canon-Mount/dp/B000U8Y88M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301659185&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Kenko DG Auto Extension Tube Set for the Canon EOS AF Mount.: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Lku4nUKTL.@@AMEPARAM@@31Lku4nUKTL[/ame]
I havent used them as much as I would like to (due to a lack of spare time) but the pics I have taken with them came out great.

I think the biggest question is how much do you want to spend.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
How can I find out the value of the NIKON lenses. If I had to date them if say, 80's maybe 70's.
My Canon lenses from the 80s are worth maybe 20-30$ ea if they are in mint and you could find a buyer. Basically mine were garbage. If you have a camera place near you, you might want to check there. If I were you I wouldnt base my decision on using old glass, I would just think new.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
My Canon lenses from the 80s are worth maybe 20-30$ ea if they are in mint and you could find a buyer. Basically mine were garbage. If you have a camera place near you, you might want to check there. If I were you I wouldnt base my decision on using old glass, I would just think new.
My Canon lenses are about 5 yrs old. Pretty new. The NIKON lenses are the ones is like to.price.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
If you don't have too many lenses..... I would just take them down to BEST BUY and see if they work with the cameras you are looking at.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
If you don't have too many lenses..... I would just take them down to BEST BUY and see if they work with the cameras you are looking at.
Or you could just look up the specs online... lol A little bit better than bringing in a couple lenses and trying to grind them into dslr bodies lol.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You are trying to cover lots of bases but I think I should be able to assist. I'm a freelance photographer, cigar smoker and aqua-hobbyist. Looks like we share the same passion.

Let's get the basics out of the way. The brand doesn't matter. Both Nikon and Canon are top notch companies and make extremely well designed equipment. Flip a coin and go with that company. Now, if you already have 'something' invested in one of the camps, let's hear about it. If you want to get into aquarium photography, you want to use a lens that has functional Auto-Focus. Those old lenses that you have will most likely work on your dSLR but auto-focus will probably not.

In order to extract every bit of detail to create good composition, I recommend that you go with macro lens. Depending on working distance (distance from lens to aquarium glass), you may want to buy 60mm or 100mm (Canon) / 105mm (Nikon) or even 180mm (Canon) / 200mm (Nikon). Also, all depends on your budget. You can buy used lenses for a really good price !

Based on your description, I would stay away from Pro-dSLRs and look into entry-level dSLRs. Again, all depends on your budget.

To see my cigar photography - check out --> http://cigarphotography.net

Here are couple SUPER OLD :) underwater aquarium shots:

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
That looks exactly like what I want to do Jay. My 2 Canon lenses that I have know are auto focus, I used them with my slr rebel. They have a.switch from af to mf, sound right?!. We do share alot, shoot, even our home state area!

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I made the plunge for upcoming baby. I went with the Canon T2i (body only and my first lens, Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM AF Telephoto Lens. Every where I read the lens had really good reviews and looked good for my need right now.