What's new

dual zone wineadors

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey members, I've just started smoking cigars for about a year now and would like to buy a wineador for my growing collection. Do dual-zone wineadors do a good job with separating humidity levels as well? I've bought quite a few cc's and would like to keep those at a lower rh level than the nc's. If I by a regular wineador can I store my cc's in a small desktop humidor and place the entire humidor(with boveda packs inside) in the wineador for temp control? Am I being anal about trying to keep my cc's separate from my nc's? Thanks for indulging me.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think you have to keep them separate if, as you mentioned, you like different Rhs and Temps for them. You can solve any potential RH problem caused by the wine cooler by using your well sealed tuperdoor with the Bovedas. I can't speak for how well a dual zone keeps the humidity separate but you should take into consideration the type of cooling system the wine cooler is using. If it is a standard compressor type unit you'll have to use more pro-active humidification.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have to keep them separate if, as you mentioned, you like different Rhs and Temps for them. You can solve any potential RH problem caused by the wine cooler by using your well sealed tuperdoor with the Bovedas. I can't speak for how well a dual zone keeps the humidity separate but you should take into consideration the type of cooling system the wine cooler is using. If it is a standard compressor type unit you'll have to use more pro-active humidification.
No compressor fridges. Even I know that is a no-no. Definitely thermo-electric

konmtu

CRA #100012823
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
You can use compressor types, but you have to really know what you're doing. There is a guy on another board (based in Australia) that makes wineadors with compressor fridges. He has videos on YouTube, too. They're not so much of a how-to, but if you follow along closely, it isn't hard to understand what he's doing.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As long you are not blowing dried air into the unit or providing cold spots on walls to initiate condensation of internal humidity compressor cooling works just fine.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long you are not blowing dried air into the unit or providing cold spots on walls to initiate condensation of internal humidity compressor cooling works just fine.
If thats the case then everybody would be using regular fridges to store their prized cigars. The compressor will suck out all of the humidity and make it to dry. You'll be forever trying to keep up with the proper rh levels.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use refrigerators in a non-climate controlled garage with kegerator temperature controllers to store over 2000 cigars in sealed Tupperware. The freezer section of the refrigerator (where the majority of the cooling occurs) does exactly as you describe but because the tupperdors are properly sealed I have neither humidity nor temperature problems.

My NewAir has a cold plate that when over worked because ambient room temperature is too high removes moisture from the air in the unit causing it to puddle in the bottom. I have installed fans inside the NewAir to circulates the air in the humidor over the plate preventing droplets from forming on the plate itself. The closed system with the assistance of Bovedas works quite well for me in Southeast Louisiana.

Does a glass full of ice cause a puddle on your table? If something gets cold enough to be below the dewpoint condensation will form. With a room air conditioner the humidity removed from the room drips onto the floor behind the unit. In my overworked NewAir the droplets never form so humidity control is possible. The key is to keep surfaces in any humidor above the dew point. How you do it, as long as you are not actually removing moisture like a room air conditioner is irrelevant.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use compressor types, but you have to really know what you're doing. There is a guy on another board (based in Australia) that makes wineadors with compressor fridges. He has videos on YouTube, too. They're not so much of a how-to, but if you follow along closely, it isn't hard to understand what he's doing.
Do you have a link to his youtube?. I just got a dual zone danby compressor style cheap. I am trying to figure out what I should do to mod it. I am thinking one of the cheap stand alone controllers may be able to regulate the temps better than the stock unit, or I might gut it and go peltier.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's CigarClimatology. The guy is a bit smarmy, but he definitely know his stuff.
I figured it was him. My biggest issue with his videos is he drones on an on, just to say something that would take 30 seconds.

I got a danby wine cooler with duel zones, and wood shelves for 75.00 Canadian. I ordered a new controller on ebay for 8.00. I am going to bypass the original temp controller and replace it with the completely adjustable one. I can set it for 65 or 68, and it will only come on for a short time during July and Aug.
To bypass, all I need to do is take the hot lead off the compressor, and feed it through the new controller, back to the compressor. I will extend the neutral lead up to the controller.
This will leave the original fans and temperature gauge working.
Just playing around with it now, without any humidity inside. When it comes on, it will drop 20-30%, but come right back up when it shuts off.

I think it should work for my needs, since its cold here most of the year.

The beer forums have lots of info on modding compressor fridges. They want them colder, but the same info applies.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Or, save your money and buy a regular old wineador and store ALL your cigars at 65%. Havent met a cigar guy that tried this doesnt stay with it. Don't over think the humidification. Wineador and some 65% Bovedas will cover 99.99% of all cigars just fine, IMO. YMMV
With the internet age, we (myself included) tend to over analyze and research a subject. Personal experience has taught me that 69% is too much even for NC'S to burn properly. 65%, and the problems go away, NC or CC either one. Try one 65% Boveda in a Tupperware with a few nc and CC for a few weeks before you spend hundreds of dollars on some fancy system.

Last edited: