What's new

Dumb electrical question

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Hey all, I did some googling on this and didn’t find an answer that satisfied me.

I’ve got this plug, and I need to cut the end off to feed the cord through a small hole.
E159AEB1-9BAE-45A3-BAAC-67B78F69320F.jpeg

The plug is molded solid, I don’t see an easy way to disassemble and reuse the plug. I also don’t have any wire nuts or anything to splice the wires back together, and I don’t feel like going to the store.

I do have this 3 prong plug. I want to wire the cord into it and just leave the ground prong not connected. I’m pretty sure this can be done safely and isn’t gonna be a problem, but I’m just looking for confirmation to make me sleep better. Thanks in advance for any input.
8C84688B-86A4-403B-99F7-509CC6F9A3F5.jpeg

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I would just tie some copper wire to each of the 2 prongs with holes in them (pretty sure that's what the holes are for anyway) and run the wires through the hole in your wall. Cut the plug off an old busted appliance or something (it's a holiday weekend, so hit a garage sale if you don't have any lying around) and tie the wires to that, and you should be good to go (y)

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
What device are you wiring in? Something for your humidor?

You can leave the ground terminal bear. Since it wasnt there to begin with it doesn't matter.

You can clip the ground prong off if it isn't a 3 "prong" outlet to match. Since again it wasnt there to begin with.

You can also jump the neutral to the ground prong on the outlet. This is called creating a dog leg. Sometimes helps with older electron equipment giving more of a neutral path in a capacitance rich modern home.

The real thing is make sure the black is on the colored terminal and the white(or textured cord) is on the silver.

Other than that. Go ham and sleep well you wont mess anything up.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Not for my humidor, it is for one of the other loves of my life, beer. I was running it through the collar on my keezer to plug in a fan for circulation.

You know the best thing to do is just unwire the other end from the device, feed the loose end through the small hole and then rewire.
The other end of the cord has a different plug on it for connecting to the fan. It seemed easier to remove the wall plug end since I had the plug to replace it with.

Cut a bigger hole and feed the original through.
This is what I would have done in most other situations. In this instance, I wanted to keep the keezer sealed up tight and i didn’t want a big hole I had to fill with caulk.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0

You can leave the ground terminal bear. Since it wasnt there to begin with it doesn't matter.

You can clip the ground prong off if it isn't a 3 "prong" outlet to match. Since again it wasnt there to begin with.

This.
Just remember that appliance wire isn't intended to be going through walls.

EDIT ]
ah. see your post. Good luck

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Thanks everyone for your input. I had decided to use the 3 prong plug, then when I was about to do it my mind started conjuring images of the fire marshal holding holding a melted cord telling me that this improperly wired plug was the source of the blaze. I decided to look into it a bit more.

I went ahead and used it, careful to wire to the correct prongs. I left the ground unhooked. So far it’s working just fine, and my house remains unburnt.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you did was perfectly fine as long as you made sure all is good and tight and no bare conductor exposed. You just have a dummy ground prong. Good job.