What's new

Dunbarton Sobremesa - CoM Apr 2017 (Cigar of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

Country of Manufacture: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano #1 Rosado
Binder: Mexican
Filler: Nicaraguan/USA

Sizes Produced:
Corona Grande 5.25 x 44 Parejo
Cervantes Fino 6.25 x 46 Parejo
Robusto Largo 5.25 x 52 Parejo
El Americano 6.00 x 52 Parejo
Torpedo Tiempo 6.00 x 54 Torpedo
Gran Imperiales 7.00 x 54 Parejo
Diademas DeLuxe 6.25 x 60 Perfecto
Short Churchill 4.75 x 48 Parejo
Short Robusto 4.75 x 52 Parejo
Short Torpedo 4.75 x 54 Torpedo
Elegante en Cedros 7.00 x 50 Parejo

From dunbartoncigars.com:
Sobremesa, "over the table", has no precise English translation, perhaps because there is no cultural equivalent in the US. It is an idiom used among the Latin culture to describe the leisurely time spent tableside after you have finished dining, but before you rise. It is the experience of lingering casually with family and friends in conversation, relaxing, drinking, smoking, and enjoying each other’s company. Sobremesa is one of life’s simplest, yet greatest pleasures.

Sobremesa will be continuously crafted, however the pace of its production is being dictated by the tobaccos themselves and therefore will be limited in its availability via Select Purveyors for the foreseeable future.​

Prior CoM reviews can be found HERE

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Gotta love Steve Saka. Very nice stick. Smoked the short Churchill. If you don't follow Steve on facebook it is kind of a fun experience as he posts about his travels and sticks. A medium to full cigar. To some full but I found it right in that sweet zone. Beautiful dark brown wrapper. Excellent draw with a little resistance which I like. On the light I tasted cedar, fruit and a nice tickle of pepper on the retrohale, but then what do I know. I do know I liked what I was tasting. Changes in the middle where the addition of some dark chocolate, and the fruit sweetness increased. At the end everything intensified and I could see where some may call this full from the spiciness/pepper that emerged. The cigar burn was straight and even. Nubbed it and went looking for more. Steve is at Cigar King in Scottsdale tomorrow night and Ambassador Cigars in Glendale right now for you lucky Arizona desert dwellers.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Short Robusto 4.75 x 52 with thanks to @jimmy_d
V-cut
Drinking water and Barq's root beer

Nice dark brown wrapper, almost seamless(really have to look to see some of them). Couldn't pick up much pre light other than just tobacco. I'm sure my allergies aren't helping much.

Nice draw both pre light and lit, about as good as one could ask for imo. Not to good with flavors but I'd have to go with an almost dry, earthy flavor with a hint of peppery spice. Good smoke output, with a creamy finish that sticks to the pallet and lingers. Something else I can't quite put my finger on, almost like a citrus.

Nice ash, tight and compact. No oops I ashed myself with this one. I'd call it a medium strength smoke. Burn got a bit wonky but I blame that on the dummy smoking it.

Picking up a bit more spice towards the end, strength seems about the same. I'm getting a little hint of citrus but still mostly a earthy taste. Almost a chewy finish, really coats the pallet and sticks with you.

My first Sobremesa and I'll certainly be smoking some more.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
A friend and I recently had reviews of the Short Churchill published on the Cigar Weekly Magazine:

Written by Jeff Slatton (jefslat)
Steve Saka, former CEO of Drew Estate and creator of the Liga Privada line, is in his third year of producing his own cigars, which include the Sobremesa and (as of 2016) the Mi Querida. Both lines are excellent, and represent fine examples of Steve’s craft.
In this article, we’re going to kick off a three-part series on Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust with a ‘double-review’, written by two of our most experienced cigar aficionados, of the Sobremesa Short Churchill – a cigar that garnered a third-place award in Cigar Weekly’s Top 10 Cigars of 2016!

Sobremesa Short Churchill
Review by Doug (Mad Dawg):
Size: 4.75 inches by 48 ring gauge (Parejo)
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano Grade 1 Dark Rosado
Binder: San Andrés Negro
Filler: Nicaraguan and Pennsylvanian
Construction: Very even, consistent, smooth. Heavy in the hand, no soft spots. Curls of black Ligero visible at the foot. Wrapper a lovely dark Rosado, lightly veined, slight sheen of oils. Beautiful!
Pre-light aromas: Cocoa, cedar, lush sweet tobacco.
Pre-light flavors: Earthy/woody, leather, slight molasses sweetness from the wrapper. Draw is perfect, with just the right amount of resistance.
First draws: Dark wheat toast with a hint of honey and cinnamon. Rich notes of cedar and cocoa with a slight black pepper bite. Full side of medium-bodied... I may have wanted to wait until after dinner to burn this one! Finish is long and smooth, with woody/cedar notes.
First third: Ash mottled light/dark gray, a bit flaky, very firm. Even burn, not requiring touch-ups. Flavors consistent with first draws, with that quality Nicaraguan tobacco lushness coming through.
Second third: Deep, dense mouthfuls of smoke with gentle draws. Flavors deepening while remaining consistent. Very smooth, excellent.
Final third: Basically more of the same. Never turned bitter or tarry, and remained excellent without demanding purging. Pleasant from start to blistered fingertips.
Smoking time: 90 minutes.
Scores (Using the Cigar Weekly scale):
Appearance and construction – 5/5
Burn – 4.5/ 5
Draw – 5/5
Aroma – 4.5/5
Flavor – 9/10
Taste/aftertaste – 9/10
Overall quality – 9.5/10
Total – 46.5/50 (Five stars – Superior)
Highly recommended!

Review by Andy (ak2000):
Just a great looking cigar. Dark reddish brown wrapper, very smooth with only a couple of slightly noticeable veins. Beautifully constructed, evenly firm throughout, perfect triple cap. Mild tobacco, spice and leather aroma coming off the wrapper.
Clipped with SAK scissors. Perfect cold draw with some herbal notes. Did I mention the phenomenal quality of construction? First puff gives me a blast of spice and toasty tobacco flavors.
This cigar quickly settles into earthy and dough-like notes. Generous smoke production. There is a slight bitterness on the palate – not a bad thing. Twenty minutes in and almost to the halfway point. Smoke has a slightly creamy character now. Definitely on the stronger side of the spectrum, though slightly less than medium-bodied.
Last third now, and the flavors intensify. Total smoking time around an hour. A very enjoyable cigar.
Final thoughts: This one is supposed to be a lighter smoke than the rest of the line, which I would agree with. Not as intense in flavor as other Sobremesa cigars I've tried but, as mentioned, on the strong side. While I do enjoy a strong cigar in the morning on occasion, I think this one may be best at the end of the day. From my experience, it kind of reminds me of a well-aged PSD4 in that regard (before the homogenization of Habanos around ten or so years ago). Definitely box-worthy.

Steve Saka:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Imo the fresh OR Sobremesas smoked much differently than they do now.

Notes from Nov 2015
Wrapper:
Ecuador La Meca Grade 1 Habano
Binder:
Mexican Matacapa Negro
Filler:
Nic GK Condega.Puebla Criollo.Esteli C-98 & Ligero.Penn BL

Robusto Largo
Firm cigar, well filled with an expertly applied cap. Subtle but pleasant, rich tobacco, molasses & ginger aroma. Mineral and clean tobacco cold draw. 1st - heavy Nicaraguan tobacco flavors of dark cocoa, espresso bean, black pepper and black cherry ligero zip. Little bit of earth & sweet allspice in the mix to add interest. Med start. Firm draw through the first 3rd. 2nd- punchy pepper backs down, some familiar San Andres flavors and spices join the mix. Some toasted malt toward the the band. 1:10 Med

The OR Sobremesa did not disappoint in flavor. After some rest these really opened up and started smoking great, became more Med-Full, great burner with thick chewy smoke. It became a regular in my rotation last winter and had me chasing other Dunbarton releases. An awesome first release, hope the quality can keep up for future harvests.