What's new

Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture - PToM Aug 2016 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

ELIZABETHAN MIXTURE
Brand:
Dunhill
Blend Type: Virginia/Perique
Contents: Perique, Virginia
Flavoring: None
Cut: Ribbon
Packaging: 50g Tin

From Tor Imports: (importers of Dunhill, as well as Ashton and Robert Lewis pipe tobaccos)
Relaunched in the summer of 2013, with
distinctive flavourful blend pressed, darkened
tobaccos with Perique added for character. A
rich flavoured blend of light and dark Virginia
tobaccos with a touch of Louisiana Perique
for added zest. This air cured, ribbon cut
tobacco is medium to strong in strength. The
Elizabethan Mixture has mild flavouring and a
medium to full taste.​

Prior PToM reviews can be found HERE

Last edited:

Xingpao

Tobacco Whore
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Newb Review Beware:

So far, I have smoked only a house 5100 blend and Esoterica Penzance, but due to lack of reviews here, I decided to give my inexperienced opinion.

Immediately the quality of the Dunhill tobacco is present in the Virginia and the Louisiana Per complements that quality in a way that seems to effortlessly bridge the gap between a straight VA and the English Penzance. In fact, I could see this as an incredible all day smoker and a strong contender for cellar space.
Lots of character and simply delicious.

Pipe was a Moonshine devil dog, lit with a freebie tobacco store match and enjoyed with a small glass of Milo's sweet tea.

I advise that you recommend this to any newb or veteran alike and snatch up a pound or two when the price is right.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Xingpao

Tobacco Whore
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Newb Review Beware:

So far, I have smoked only a house 5100 blend and Esoterica Penzance, but due to lack of reviews here, I decided to give my inexperienced opinion.

Immediately the quality of the Dunhill tobacco is present in the Virginia and the Louisiana Per complements that quality in a way that seems to effortlessly bridge the gap between a straight VA and the English Penzance. In fact, I could see this as an incredible all day smoker and a strong contender for cellar space.
Lots of character and simply delicious.

Pipe was a Moonshine devil dog, lit with a freebie tobacco store match and enjoyed with a small glass of Milo's sweet tea.

I advise that you recommend this to any newb or veteran alike and snatch up a pound or two when the price is right.

Edit: 2014 tobacco courtesy of @bostoneo

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Since I smoked 3 pounds last year of this blend here is my review Tin note of hay, slight fig and an underlying spice. Typical, superb ribbon that burns so easy every newb should smoke Dunhill blends. First light not a lot of flavor but a good VA as the bowl progresses it gets deeper in flavor like a brown flake taste and the perique kicks in. Won't bite but if pushed, can become harsh and unpleasant. One of the best VA/Per blends made. It cellars very well.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I'm late to the game on this one since I didn't find the link until a few days ago...

I found the taste for this to be extremely light at the beginning, becoming more peppery around 1/2 way in, and holding until the end. Smoke was minimal and very light.
Straight from the tin, the moisture on this was perfect for me - I needed one relight towards the beginning, but otherwise burned straight through with no issues and without mindful tending either. Burned down to just pure white ash. I wish there were more blends that smoked this well straight from a fresh tin.
Unfortunately, I did not find the room not pleasant on this one, although it wasn't absolutely terrible.