What's new

DVD Player question

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Ok guys, some of you are relatively intelligent, so I figured maybe you can help me. I tend to get some DVDs from time to time that either skip or stop and then jump forward several minutes at a time. Doing the recommended wipe it down routine just doesn't get it done. Is there something else I can do to make all rentals play well? Buying a better DVD player, maybe? I have a fairly new Sony now...does this have anything to do with the quality of DVD player? Does anyone else run into this on a regular basis?

Note, on most of these DVDs there are no real bad scratches, just small imperfections...

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Sometimes it just happens, especially with rentals.

You can get a lint-free cloth and clean them with some rubbing alcohol if its just dirty. I have heard you can polish scratches out sometimes with toothpaste but I've never tried it.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I get it all the time with rentals. I think it's just the wear and tear that the discs go through. Not sure what you can do other than wipe them down and hope for the best.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Yea this is the one main thing that pisses me off with rentals coming through the mail. Everything will be okay until you get to that one scene and it'll skip it or just not play forward. Argh...!

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yea, that is very annoying! Especially if you have like 30 mintues left!

I know they sell come cleaning kits for DVDs but if the disc is scratched there really isn't much you can do....

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Well, you guys have disappointed me...I thought for sure one of you would have some wild fix for my problem...I'm crushed!:rofl:

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well, its hardly a "easy fix" but what I will do is rip the DVD to my computer (the raw dvd files) and then play it from there to the TV, or if I need to, burn it to a blank and use that. Little more work but all of the battles w/ the scratches are done while ripping the files, so when play time comes everything is good.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I've been a member of NetFlix for years and have found a couple solutions ...

Most rental discs have been handled incorrectly (you should only touch the edges) hundreds if not thousands of times and are simply dirty.

1. Take the disc to the sink. Generate some lather in your hands using some soap and warm water. Now clean the shiny side of the disk. (Be careful to avoid any rings you might be wearing). Rinse thoroughly and dry with a clean + soft cotton cloth using a circular motion.

This is all that's needed 80% of the time.
In the other cases, the disc is moderately to heavily scratched.

2. For these I can usually fix by using some Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Plastic Cleaner #17. An 8 oz bottle is about $7 and will be enough to fix about a thousand discs. Basically squirt out a small amount on the disc (shiny side). Then using a clean cotton cloth (old T-shirts are best), I will buff the disc using 2 fingers and firm but gentle pressure for about 20-30 seconds. Then wipe it clean using another section of the same cloth. This usually removes most of the scratches. Repeat if needed ...

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
tedski said:

Most rental discs have been handled incorrectly (you should only touch the edges) hundreds if not thousands of times and are simply dirty.

1. Take the disc to the sink. Generate some lather in your hands using some soap and warm water. Now clean the shiny side of the disk. (Be careful to avoid any rings you might be wearing). Rinse thoroughly and dry with a clean + soft cotton cloth using a circular motion.

2. For these I can usually fix by using some Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Plastic Cleaner #17. An 8 oz bottle is about $7 and will be enough to fix about a thousand discs. Basically squirt out a small amount on the disc (shiny side). Then using a clean cotton cloth (old T-shirts are best), I will buff the disc using 2 fingers and firm but gentle pressure for about 20-30 seconds. Then wipe it clean using another section of the same cloth. This usually removes most of the scratches. Repeat if needed ...
Meguiars...That the stuff. I got it for the rear window of my 87 MBZ and the guy at Mercedes tells me how great it is on DVD's. I tried in on both a CD and DVD and it really great...About $7 a bottle at MBZ dealership.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
tedski said:

Sweet dude, didn't know that.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another problem may be your DVD player itself. Alot of the new high end players use a tighter scanning algorithm in order to deliver higher resolution and sound.

They are less tolerant of scratches and have less error correction. Cheaper DVD players do not deliver that extra sharp resolution, but they are able to play just about anything that does not have a half inch gash on the surface of the disc.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Meguiars makes great car products. It makes sense that their plastic cleaner would work on DVDs/CDs