What's new

Dyed Wrappers on Cigars

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
It did that to me with other various brands of cigars, Padron, Tat's, etc. So, isn't it unfair to single out RP?
I've never had a Padron do that to me.

I've had 2 cigars do this to me. One was a Rocky Patel Indian Tabac Maduro and the other was Graycliff 1666. I've often heard this on other cigars like the Nestor Reserve Maduro and Rocky Patel Fusion Maduro. With the Indian Tabac, Nestor Reserve and Old World Reserve you can sort of see a texture to the wrapper, a bit with the Graycliff too. It's kind of blotchy and inconstant throughout.

Typically the way they die cigars is using the juices from the tobacco leafs and brushing them onto the wrapper.

Now it is possible for a cigar that isn't dyed to bleed some of its natural oils when wet, but some of these cigars are so dark you can't help but wonder...

If you want a good Maduro I would go with Padron, Oliva or CAO.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
The Padron 1000 series is one of the finest maduros I have ever smoked. Beautiful, rich flavours throughout.

For another great maduro, I strongly recommend Capoeira. A thick, toothy wrapper oozing with natural oils, and a robust set of dark flavours like espresso, rich dark chocolate, and spicy earth.

Is it wrong of me to say that I wouldn't so much mind a dyed wrapper if the dying process was performed with the tobacco's natural oils?

Granted, I'd rather no dying ideally...but if they do this (as opposed to some godawful synthetic process or something) I wouldn't see it as THAT big of a crime, particularly if they're just aiming to get some semblance of consistency in the colour of their wrappers.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
The Padron 1000 series is one of the finest maduros I have ever smoked. Beautiful, rich flavours throughout.

For another great maduro, I strongly recommend Capoeira. A thick, toothy wrapper oozing with natural oils, and a robust set of dark flavours like espresso, rich dark chocolate, and spicy earth.

Is it wrong of me to say that I wouldn't so much mind a dyed wrapper if the dying process was performed with the tobacco's natural oils?

Granted, I'd rather no dying ideally...but if they do this (as opposed to some godawful synthetic process or something) I wouldn't see it as THAT big of a crime, particularly if they're just aiming to get some semblance of consistency in the colour of their wrappers.
Yeah to me it does seem better than something synthetic, but would just prefer they not do it at all.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
So a friend gifted me one of these Satori Zen Maduro looking cigars that was a dbl perfecto. This thing was like a brown magic marker, what's up with that? Who is the manufacturer? For such a maduro cigar it sure had the smoothest wrapper I've ever seen, absolutely no tooth nor veins. Well it was smoking nice and then I noticed some brown crap on my lips and started wiping it on my hand, it's pretty disgusting actually.
I'd be astonished if that cigar was actually dyed, as Tobacalara Tropical is top notch in my book as far as manufacturing (I've had far fewer problems with Illusione than DPG or Tatuaje, for example). I'm sure it's just the way the sticks were cured, as Steve Saka discusses (posted here a couple times).

Rev

Perfecto Lounge
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what they use for dye? I'd hope they are using non-flavored vegetable based dyes...similar to the vegetable glue they use for caps.

Has anyone been to the factory and smoked a non-dyed stick? If so, any difference in flavor or burn?