What's new

Dyed Wrappers on Cigars

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I've heard this discussed several times but never thought much of it myself, but I got nailed with one today that made me think twice.

Since RP's OWR made #8 on CA's Top 25 I decided to pull one out of the humi and give it a shot. I've recently read some post on [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=35617"]cigar wetting[/ame] and with the crazy weather here in GA this time of year my humi was a couple points low (62%) so I decided to try it out.

Well... when I rubbed the cigar this is what I got. Ridiculous. I know there are some that have said they don't care about dyed wrappers but if you've got to doctor your stuff up THIS much then you must be starting with some pretty bad wrapper leaf. And what is in the dye that he's using to get this color???

I sure won't run out to buy anymore RP's in the future.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I think I had that exact same issue on that exact same stick. I was in the car going to meet a buddy of mine, and the dye got on my lips and made it look like I had dark lipstick on...I wasn't very happy to say the least. Never heard about "cigar wetting" though. It could just be cause I'm relatively new in the cigar world.

-Dave

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I think I had that exact same issue on that exact same stick. I was in the car going to meet a buddy of mine, and the dye got on my lips and made it look like I had dark lipstick on...I wasn't very happy to say the least. Never heard about "cigar wetting" though. It could just be cause I'm relatively new in the cigar world.

-Dave
I just heard of it a couple days ago, I'll see if I can find a good post and share it here.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Dyed wrappers are a big turn off for me.
Agreed. I just remembered that I also ran into the same problem with the Macanudo Maduro...Made my fingers all dark brown. Lips and tongue were dyed too.

Kinda ticks me off for the prices of some of these dyed sticks, makes me wonder if they are using such good wrapper leaf.

-Dave

aquarich

BoM March '11
Rating - 100%
205   0   0
I also have had this problem. I have also seen it happen, albeit only once, to a friend smoking a Tempus Magistri Maduro. Dying wrappers is just BS in my book.

CbusDave

CRA Member #198179
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Wow. I have read several thread/blogs on other sites talking about blatantly dyed RP sticks (particularly the Fusion Maduro).

No excuse for that, particularly for the number 8 "Cigar of the Year" :wtf:...

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I've noticed this on some cheap RP Fumas (not recommended, BTW!), and I suspected the OWR was dyed. Still, it's pretty outrageous to see this on such a "premium" cigar.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"RP do dye some wrappers the real big one was the Fusion Maduro I think. "

how do you think those edge cigars look so OILY? same action.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
RP R4 gives a similar result.

BTW 62% RH in you town does not seem dry. I store my sticks at 62%. The rh here is around 30%, and in AZ arounf 10% I still do not see a reason to wet your smokes.

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
Only RP I've had was a vintage 1999 connecticut and had no problems. I avoid buying them because of all the shit talk... and I'm glad I listened. After a quick search I found not only cigar reviews but also other forums on this same subject. All saying how disapointed they are and how they have crap all over their hands and lips. I even found a post on BOTL by dprice in 4/08 saying a RP R4 made him spit orange! Sounds like this should be no surprise.