What's new

East Coast: Hurricane Irene Preparedness

IPH

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Just wanted to put a quick post out there to all the BOTL's on the East Cost. This was sent out by Northeastern Utilities as a "heads up" to all their employees for the incoming hurricane. Thought I'd put it out there for you. I know most of it is common sense, but it doesn't hurt to hear it again:

Every home should have a basic emergency supply kit that could be used for any emergency, regardless of the time of year, and everyone should keep certain items around the house in the event they are isolated for three to five days without power. Families need to create a Disaster Supply Kit 'Go Bag', with essentials in case they must evacuate quickly.

People will NOT come to work if their families are at risk, and much of that risk is due to a lack of preparedness.

Details are below and can also be viewed on broadcast central.....

Emergency kits should include the following items:
Canned goods and nonperishable foods, particularly those that do not need cooking, such as canned meats and fish, canned fruits and vegetables, canned soups and puddings, canned fruit juices, dried fruit and nuts, bread, cookies and crackers, and peanut butter and jelly.
Manual can opener
Bottled water (1 gallon per person/per day)
Prescription medication (2-week supply)
Extra eyeglasses
Pet food/supplies
Coffee and/or tea
Water purification tablets (halazone)
Disposable plates, cups, and utensils
Infant care items such as disposable diapers, baby wipes, baby food, and formula.
First aid supplies
Masking and duct tape
Flashlight or lantern, with extra batteries
Battery operated radio, with extra batteries
Watch or battery operated clock
Ice chest
Matches

Additional items to consider include:
Canned heat (sterno)
Portable outdoor camping stove or grill with fuel supply
A certain amount of cash
Important documents (Such as wills, deeds, prescriptions, passports, birth certificates, health record, proof of address, Social Security number)
Plastic trash bags
Plastic sheeting or tarp
Chlorinated bleach (small bottle is fine; use a drop or two to purify water, etc.)

Personal hygiene items:
Other items to have handy include:
Sun lotion
Insect repellent

Other items (not for the kit or for evacuation):
Hammer
Emergency generator
Screwdriver
Pliers
Wrenches
Handsaw
Razor knife
Ax or chainsaw
Rope caulking
Nails and screws
Rope and wire
Broom, mop and bucket
All-purpose cleaner
Ladder
Sandbags
Portable generator
Tree pruner
Shovel, rake and wheelbarrow
Sheets of plywood

A Family Emergency Communications Plan can help reassure everyone's safety and minimize the stress associated with emergencies. Therefore, every family should develop a Family Emergency Communications Plan in case family members are separated from one another during an emergency (a real possibility during the day when adults are at work and children are at school, camp or at a friend's house). This plan should also address reunification after the immediate crisis passes.

Ask an out-of-state relative or friend to serve as the Family Emergency Communications Plan contact person. Make sure everyone knows the name, address and telephone number of the Family Emergency Communications Plan contact person. Note: During and immediately after a disaster occurs, it is often easier to access a long distance telephone number than a local one. Also, calling outside a disaster area is usually easier than calling into the same area.

Designate two meeting areas for family members - one within your community (your primary location), and one outside of your community (your alternate location). Sometimes an emergency could impact your neighborhood or small section of the community, so a second location outside of your community would be more accessible to all family members.

The State of Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection recommends that every member of your family knows the emergency contact person's phone number and has a cell phone, coins or a pre-paid phone card. And be sure to inform the person who has been designated as emergency contact, in advance.
The emergency contact person should be programmed in each cell phone as "ICE" (In Case of Emergency), so that emergency personnel will be able to contact that person for you, if you are unable to, for any reason.

Teach family members who have how to use text messaging with their cell phone, as text messages often can get through when network disruptions preclude regular phone calls.

Subscribe to the alert services that your community and/or state government offer, as these services will automatically provide instant text alerts or e-mails to warn of such things as severe weather conditions, road closings, traffic problems and local emergencies.

Finally, be sure to stay informed. Educate yourself and family about emergency plans for your community, place of business, your child's school and camp. Know what potential risks your community and neighborhood are susceptible to in a hurricane, such as storm surge, flooding, etc. Know what your community's potential notification systems, emergency shelters, and evacuation routes. Carefully monitor media and follow instructions from Public Safety officials as storms, such as the impending Hurricane Irene, approaches.

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
MY LIST IS SIMPLE:

GENERATOR
PORTABLE AC's
WATER
BEER
RED WINE
FOOD
Satellite TV
CHAIN SAW
SEND THE WIFE OUT OF STATE..because otherwise we will :boxing:
SMOKES
CHARCOAL
EXTENSION CORDS
GASOLINEEEEEEEEEEE

AND MY FREEZER FILLED WITH AS MUCH MEAT AND ICE AS POSSIBLE.

OH we now get a Satellite for phone and internet to run our company.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
its been super humid all day. the hurricane is supposed to weaken by the time it gets up around here - mass. i read its supposed to go from cat3 to a cat1 or a weak cat2.

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm in a low area in Norfolk. Nothing to gain by staying here so we are heading out tomorrow for Lexington Va. I think everything will be ok and tv's, computers, cigars and the like can be replaced.

Walter

Scott
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I am far enough inland all we should get is some rain and wind nothing major but all you guys on the coast be safe also I would like to offer a place to lay your head for anyone looking to get out and have no place to go.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm assuming it won't be any worse than any of the other crazy summer storms we get here in Charlotte. I lived near DC though when Isabelle hit years ago. We were without power for TWO WEEKS. Good thing I had workouts before school and could shower there!

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm assuming it won't be any worse than any of the other crazy summer storms we get here in Charlotte. I lived near DC though when Isabelle hit years ago. We were without power for TWO WEEKS. Good thing I had workouts before school and could shower there!
Isabelle was a tropical storm by the time it hit DC brother.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I just filled up my jugs I use for homebrewing just in case the water gets messed with in PA. I think I'm far enough inland that it won't be bad. I have food, smokes, beer (lots), booze (lots), dog food, and all the other happy horseshit.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
This sucks. F"in state of NJ is already in a state of emergency, I know Ill be working all weekend bc of this bit*h, which means wifey and both girls will be here alone thank god my parents and brother are all within a mile as well as her parents and her brother. Ugh.............