What's new

Eat before??

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
So, I was at a Brick & Mortar this week and had no intention of smoking, rather I was just catching up on all my buddies lives since we had spoken last. Like all good Havanaphiles, I had a fully stocked traveldor (my cigar tube) with me as I always do. Upon seeing this, my pals tried goading me into lighting up with them all. Being that I had just gotten off of work and was rather hungry since it had been a long day, I declined and said I would have to catch up at another time. Since they're all stubborn 'bastads' they insisted, and I gave in. Well, I knew what was going to happen. I was going to light up and then feel the effects after just a few puffs. Sure enough, after about an inch (I sparked a Dip 4) I started getting that tell-tale queezy feeling but figured that if I pussed out, I would never hear the end of it. The story ends with me being rather uncomfortable and looking white as a ghost for the entire rest of the cigar. They patronized me the entire time until I walked out the door and continued even the next day by calling my office and asking for "Sicky Schneider". For me, I almost always have to have something in my stomach before I smoke. I was never a smoker of anything besides Cigars so I didn't think anything of this. Well, it turns out that this never happens to any of them and thats why they made such a big deal out of this whole thing. Am I the only one? I don't have to eat IMMEDIETLY before I have one, but I do like to have something down there to help soak up the juices. Am I really a Pus??!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I just don't know, honestly. I've yet to get a real good buzz going from a cigar, but I smoked cigarettes for YEARS so I have to imagine I'm somewhat immune to the affects. Not exactly sure why eating does anything for it though. I assume most of the nicotine comes in through the mouth. :smt102

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I eat atleast 2 hours before at the maximum. If it's a light cigar then I don't worry, but if it's a strong cigar then I do worry

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I only smoke after a meal. The bigger the meal the stronger the cigar.
I smoked my first Opus power ranger on almost nothing in my stomach and I felt like I was going to die.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Are you a puss? Yes, but that has nothing to do with the effect of smoking the cigar :wink:
Seriously, I can't believe that you felt you needed to cave in to their request eventough you knew how it would make you feel.. cigars are for enjoyment and if you can't enjoy em.. don't smoke, regardless of what some friends say.
In relation to feeling the buzz more if you haven't eaten.. sure, that has certainly some truth in it... take drinkin alchohol or taking medications or what ever.... the body can cope with things in a different way when the tummy is full (that is why I tell Rebecca to keep feeding me if she wants to keep me .. I need that food to cope with her ha ha I, of cours say that as a joke!)...

I am somewhat immune to this effect you are referring to but that is surely due to being a nicotine addict in form of cigarettes... I remember when I was younger and first started smoking ...I used to feel queezy and light headed if I smoked too much.. cigars have less nicotine than cigarettes (if they're any good) and I don't inhale cigars so I am not exposing myself to much nicotine in comparison, hence I don't need to eat...

You, however, sound like a good meal first is in order....and don't let your friends bug you into doing things against your better judgement... that was one dip 4 wasted as you didn't enjoy it.

If this came across that I am pointing fingers and telling you what to do and that I am a know it all type guy.. it wasn't meant that way.. and I think we know eachother well enough for you to know this too :D

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It happens to a lot of people, me included. I've never hurled from it, but I have caught a buzz on more than one occasion, makes me get queezy, I sweat like crazy and feel like crap. When it happens, put the cigar down, and drink and eat something right away. I think someone also suggested you take a teaspoon of sugar to make it go away quick.

There is nothing to be ashamed of, or embarassed about. This is a normal reaction. Cigarette smokers, and frequent cigar smokers (2 or more a day) probably don't suffer this effect because they have built up a resistance to it, but I only smoke 3-4 cigars a week generally, so once in a while it will sneak up on me.

Just know your body's limits, and only smoke to enjoy not from peer pressure or anything else. You may also want to keep one of those energy bars handy for times when you don't have the time to stop for a real meal, but know you want to smoke a cigar. They come in handy - I usually get those low-card, high protein bars you find in health food stores. They keep my tummy from growling for a couple of hours.

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I need to have something in my stomach also. I have gotten the cigar sickness a few times, all were on an empty stomach.

Like john said above, a good cigar makes good meal more memorable.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Sometimes a cigar will get to me, sometimes not. If I eat I am almost always good to go. If I don't, it can go either way. Usually happens when I rush a smoke.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Haven't had any trouble yet - but then I've only smoked mild to moderate cigars... and have only smoked a few on an empty stomach.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Someone posted awhile ago that drinking sugared drinks helps you work through the buzz, so avoid diet drinks. I like coffee with cigars and have started adding brown sugar but can't say I've noticed any great difference, but will keep trying:wink:

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I love to smoke after a good meal. It realy caps it off and relaxes me.

However, I do smoke cigars in the morning and sometimes on an empty stomach with a cup of coffee. I never have a problem. in fact that first cigar of the day is always a good one.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Mild to medium smokes I can do on an empty stomach...full bodied really strong smokes, I never tempt fate. I know they will kick my ass if I try one on an empty stomach...full meal, then fire one up...

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Tom's on a rampage with these old posts. :hysterica

I don't like to smoke without eating before hand but all it really takes now is a bowl of cereal in the morning before my morning smoke.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Jwrussell said:
I just don't know, honestly. I've yet to get a real good buzz going from a cigar, but I smoked cigarettes for YEARS so I have to imagine I'm somewhat immune to the affects. Not exactly sure why eating does anything for it though. I assume most of the nicotine comes in through the mouth. :smt102
Have you had a VSG Robusto??? I smoke cigarettes as well but still seem to get a buzz from these. Who knows though. If you have not had one, gice it a try :wink:

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
I've been smoking for about 12 years or so and I still need to eat before I smoke. Last friday went to my smoke shop and lit up a CAO Maduro and got that queezy feeling. I've decided that it's a waste of a smoke if you can't truely enjoy it, so I wont be doing that again.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Glad this came up. I hit traffic jam other day and had a smoke with me. Wanted to mellow out, so I torched a Padron maduro. My tension eased and my head chilled out, but the ole stomach was uneasy. Not a real sick feeling or vomit feeling, just not real comfortable.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hmmm...Still haven't found one that does it to me. If I smoke too many without eating, yes. But not one smoke. :dunno: