What's new

Eating before smoking?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A couple weeks back, I made the mistake of smoking a strong stick on a completely empty stomach (had been a good 8 hours since I had last eaten, but I didn't feel hungry so I guess I just didn't think about it). That was...unpleasant. I know the wisdom is that one should avoid smoking on an empty stomach, and for good reason. That said, what if it's between meals, or I'm just not that hungry? I find that when it comes to making time for a smoke, I takes what I can gets, and I rarely get the luxury of an after-dinner stick. In your experience, what is the minimum amount you need to eat in order to not get mollywhopped by the nicotine in a particularly strong cigar? Is a granola bar or a half sandwich enough? Couple of peanut butter crackers?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Depends on how you handle the nicotine. I have heard that when you start getting the nicotine sweats or your stomach starts to go upside down a bit of sugar will help. 1/2 teaspoon plain white sugar or a soft drink should do the trick. As far as food, I seldom miss a meal so unless I'm smoking first thing in the am, not a problem. Now that you are smoking full bodied coffee and chocolate note cigars you may try to find a candy bar that pairs well with your cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on the cigar. When I have a cigar in the morning, the only thing I have on my stomach is a cup of coffee or two. I don't usually start the day with something too strong. I've also had a couple of cigars kick my butt after a full dinner. If you're getting woosy or light headed, ease up on the cigar. Sugar, like soda or candy can help.

BasicTek

I don't smoke cigars often... HaHa just kidding :)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you smoke 4 a day and lots of strong sticks then it doesn't really matter if you eat before, at least that's my experience. But when 1st started a Padron 1926 kicked my butt. Not anymore....

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks fellers. As a follow up, I just lit up my 5pm quitting time stick. Cheez-its and an apple are what I ate prior. :D

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had to gobble something down in a hurry. If I were to make time for this stick, it required the perfect storm of both wife and son being otherwise occupied. I literally grabbed a handful of 'its and an apple on the way to the garage with a rum in the other hand and the cigar in my pocket. :ROFLMAO:

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I like to save the stronger smokes for when I’m drinking - if you can drink on an empty stomach, maybe try that sometime?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is all basically down to nicotine crashing your blood sugar level in high doses. That’s why cigar lounges often offer free soda, or people will talk about having chocolate on hand. After a meal your blood sugar is raised, and similarly with most booze.

If I’m out and about with a strong cigar I’ll often stop by at a coffee shop (before lighting up) and pick up a flat white with a sachet of brown sugar in it. That keeps me going and pairs nicely with most heavy smokes.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Makes me think of one of my first cigars when I was still in high school, not counting gas station trash of course. I was at a lounge, I don't remember the cigar, but I vividly remember the cold sweats, room spinning, and vomiting in the parking lot. Good times.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the strong stick by the way?

One of my 1st experiences earlier on was with a Joya De Nicaragua Antano, thought I was dying. I haven't touched another in almost 15 years.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@jaxstraww Remember a very strong corona may not give you as much nic as a milder Churchill. The nicotine tends to accumulate in the last couple of inches and when you smoke to or past the band that's generally when you get smacked.