What's new

Edgestar crapped out

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Well, I went to the vino tonight to grab a smoke and to my horror, when I opened the door, WARM air greeted me. A quick check of the temps confirmed it...81 degrees.

I did a quick read through the 101 thread and it seems like a fix that is well within my skill set, so I'll be gathering the parts and attempting it as soon as the parts get in.

I just hope a few days of elevated temps don't cause any issues.

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Sorry to hear this. How old was your Edgestar? Do you use a temp. controller or is the edgestar running all the time?

Good luck with the repair.

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm curious about what carholio asked too, also post up where you get the parts from, I've been trying to find a back up.
If you start reading twenty5's sticky on around page 9, he details the fix and where he got the parts.

slave2theaxe

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Sorry to hear this. How old was your Edgestar? Do you use a temp. controller or is the edgestar running all the time?

Two years. I do run an ETC, and but I live in AZ so it still runs quite a bit. The average temp in the house is about 75-78 most of the year. There's really only about 3-4 months out of the year where it get much lower than that.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Do you have most sticks in boxes or both? If it were myself I would be taking everything placing it in boxes with beads or a humipack and finding the coldest room near a register. Next thing you know you get busy, shipping is delayed and it's 3 weeks later. Hopefully this is not the case. Good luck on a quick fix brother!

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Do you have most sticks in boxes or both? If it were myself I would be taking everything placing it in boxes with beads or a humipack and finding the coldest room near a register. Next thing you know you get busy, shipping is delayed and it's 3 weeks later. Hopefully this is not the case. Good luck on a quick fix brother!
Agreed. There is no good reason to just let them stay warm. Accidents happen, sure. Transit happens, we get it. The islands aren't perfect, I know. You can't do anything about all that stuff. If it didn't matter at all, we wouldn't be using vinos and such. We know it matters, so saying "I'll just let it sit" seems silly. Move them somewhere cooler, and crank the air for a few days. I'd rather add $100 to my electric bill for a month, than lose all my smokes.

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0

Two years. I do run an ETC, and but I live in AZ so it still runs quite a bit. The average temp in the house is about 75-78 most of the year. There's really only about 3-4 months out of the year where it get much lower than that.
Thanks for the info. 2 years seems kinda short - that really stinks.

I bought an Edgestar in March. I do not run an etc. Sounds like i might buy another to chill wine in - and have it for a back up for the cigars. I might have to consider the 5 year warranty if i get another. The idea of spending $200 on shelves and drawers and then having them not fit a new model if they discontinue my model would suck.

Good luck on the fix and keep us updated.

Last edited:

slave2theaxe

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
The fix is fairly easy as long as you are somewhat mechanically/electrically inclined and only costs about $20-30.

I'll be taking pics and doing a write-up when I fix it. 25 did one for his, and but it was an Avanti, and while similar, there may be slight differences with the Edgestar.

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The fix is fairly easy as long as you are somewhat mechanically/electrically inclined and only costs about $20-30.

I'll be taking pics and doing a write-up when I fix it. 25 did one for his, and but it was an Avanti, and while similar, there may be slight differences with the Edgestar.
Very cool :stretchgr - looking forward to your how too write up.

slave2theaxe

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Nope, I decided to hold off since we were getting ready to move. Now that we are almost done getting settled in, I should be getting around to the project here soon.