What's new

El Rey Del Mundo '05

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Got bombed by a brother a little while back and one of the sticks generously sent was an El Rey Del Mundo from 2005. "Let me know what you think" was what the note said...figured it'd make a great review :dunno:. This afternoon was a beautiful fall day and I got setup on the deck...ready to enjoy it.

Not sure what the size is on this stick, but it looks to be in the neighborhood of 5 x 42. Sports an attractive medium brown wrapper, not oily, but the sun reflects a slight sheen. Veins are minimal and seams are tight. There is an earthy, sweet tobacco aroma coming off both the wrapper and foot.

The cap clipped a little funny, leaving a slight divot in the filler :dunno:. Draw was perfect and carried flavors of nut, slightly sweet tobacco (reminded me of a good quality hay), and cinnamon. I'm diggin' it already :thumbsup:. This was only my second CC cigar and I felt like it wouldn't be appropriate to use the ol' Bic lighter to toast this puppy so I dug around and found a box of matches from the local B&M. Since there wasn't really a breeze to speak of this afternoon, this worked out wonderfully.

The initial flavors were a sweet, nutty tobacco with hints of cinnamon. The burn was a little wonky at first, but straightened out and remained mostly sharp throughout the duration of the cigar. This thing is also spewing out smoke like a freight train :grin:.

The flavors remained consistent through the 1/3 when they started to transition to a more earthy flavor, but the nut remained in the background. Towards the end of the 2/3 the cigar went out. No fault of the cigar, I had gotten up to get some water and got distracted. When I returned it was out. Was easy to relight though.

The cigar has been getting stronger ever so slowly and has gone from a mild-medium to a medium-full. The flavors are still excellent, with a spice thought the nose joining the lineup. This cigar is rockin' my world...now I see what all the CC hype is about.

I smoked this thing until I couldn't hold it anymore. If I'd had something to stab it with I'd have smoked it 'til there wasn't anything left. This was a most excellent cigar and a big, big thanks goes out to the brother that hooked me up with this :thumbsup:. Too bad I don't have the patience to let 'em sit this long.

Dan

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I really dig the ERDM PCs, Dan, I am smoking an '03 right now. You hit many of the flavors right on for me.

Best ones I have ever had have been '98s and '99s from cabs...wish there were some of those left, but I think some of my friends bought all the vendors out.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Great review. Thanks! Just getting into the sticks from ISOM myself, so it's awesome to read these revies.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Fantastic review, Dan!! I envy you... I hardly ever get to find time to enjoy some of my stash.

Thanks for sharing, brother! I love seeing the pics & reading your reviews!!