What's new

El Rico Habano Double Corona

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is the first creation famed cigar maker Ernesto Perez-Carrillo,Sr. Although known for La Gloria Cubana line, Perez-Carrillo,Sr got his name by making ERH in Little Miami in 1970. A tobacco shortage in 1994 forced El Rico Habano to cease production but in 2001 it was re-introduced by his son Ernesto Perez-Carrillo Jr.

I never have had the pleasure of indulging in the flagship production of the 1970s but as a lover full bodied puros, El Rico Habano had always caught my attention. I had to try one. And when they say FULL BODIED they mean FULL BODIED. This stoogie is not for the weak but believe me when I tell you, this MoFo packs as much flavor as it does strength.

The long filler and binder is Nicaraguan tobacco and the wrapper is of Ecuadorean origin. These are rolled in the Dominican Republic in the El Credito factory.

The prodigious size of this Double Corona gave the roller plenty of room to work his magic. After toasting the end and going through all usual rituals of lighting a cigar, i took my first draw ... and it was absolutely delicious. I try not tot get too excited on first puffs ...they are always great but I could tell that this was something special.

The construction was great ... just a bit loose but after the first light , I never had to touch it again.

The predominant flavors of the first 1/3 were pepper, coffee and nuts. And it really packed a punch.Even though it was strong, the flavors were easily distinguishable. Slowly it melted into a chocolate/coffee/mocha spectrum with remnant hints of the pepper and wood. Finally it returned to the initial taste of pepper and nuts with a fairly long finish. We all have heard and used these terms when describing a good smoke but please don't think in generic terms. There is really something unique about the flavor.

IMHO, Perez-Carrillo's La Gloria line is a mere shadow next to El Rico Habano. Of course, this is all objective and many folks are put off by a extremely strong cigar but if you enjoy a little strength in your puff you would be hard pressed to find a better one than this. It is the Real Deal !!!!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
These are GREAT cigars. I only have one left in my humidor. I'm going to buy myself a box of the double coronas as my christmas present to myself. Great review bro!

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just shows how much tastes vary. I tried one of these 'cause I got a coupon for a freebie a little while ago. The old line always tasted harsh and burned hot to me. The new line was the same, IMHO. I like strong cigars (my usual smokes are maduro Edges, AF Double Chateaus, JDN Antanos, and LFD Double Ligero Chisels). To me, the ERH wasn't strong, it was just harsh. :bigeyes: Different strokes... :dunno:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yo MoFo, smoking these taste like smoking a rope. I like his smokes, I have El Rico Habano in almost a robusto size. Try the El Credito line, the ones with bands, those are insane.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Johnny, how do the El Creditos compare to the El Rico Habanos???? Stronger?
Smoother? More flavor?

I heard that these are La Gloria Cubana seconds. The smoke is equal to LGC. The only difference is El Creditos have cosmetic flaws.

Thanks !!!!!!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not talking about the apprentice bundles, but I do like those. The El Credito brand, a hearty blend w/ great construction, I don't know if they're LGC 2nd or not. The closet I could say they are like a Serie R on 'roids, especially in smaller guages.

J

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Johnny, how do the El Creditos compare to the El Rico Habanos???? Stronger?
Smoother? More flavor?

I heard that these are La Gloria Cubana seconds. The smoke is equal to LGC. The only difference is El Creditos have cosmetic flaws.

Thanks !!!!!!!
If u like the El Rico Habano, u will enjoy El Creditos, Trust me Being the LGC Whore that I am, U will like them...........Good Luck :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the specific brand, El Credito International.

http://www.cigarworld.com/brands/elcreditointernational/elcreditointernational_index.cfm

Here is one place that has them for sale.

http://fujipub.com/oldvirginiatobaccocompany/elcreditointernationalserie.html#cigar

As far as I know these are different than the 2nds bundled version.

The boxed version was not a real easy find doing google, I'm sure they're being sold elsewhere. The ones I've had came from "Rich's" in Portland Ore.

MoFo, I hope you can find them, and enjoy the brand as much as I do.

J

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just joined your fine forum.

I live in Europe, where boxed version of El Creditos are widely available. These are definitely top notch cigars, no flaws whatsoever, VERY consistent, great flavor, nice presentation. In every way, a premium cigar.

The trick is, El Creditos and your La Gloria Cubanas are the same cigar, but due to trade mark rights here in Europe only Habanos S.A. (a.k.a. Cubans and their associates) can sell La Gloria Cubanas.

Well, we have lots of cubans over here and you have lots of other great cigars stateside. Plus your prices are lower, so you get a bigger bang for the buck. If it werent for the killer taxes one has to pay, I would smoke more of "your" cigars. When one adds the taxes, the shipment from US would cost as much as a box of premium cuban cigars.

In my opinion, cigars from Dominican Republic, Honduras and especially Nicaragua have surpassed the quality regarding construction of cuban cigars , but cuban tobacco is still something of a miracle.

My two cents...

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In my opinion, cigars from Dominican Republic, Honduras and especially Nicaragua have surpassed the quality regarding construction of cuban cigars , but cuban tobacco is still something of a miracle.

My two cents...

+ 1000

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Nice review. Please take the time to introduce yourself in the INTRO thread.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got a hold of some El Credito Internationals and the flavor did remond me of Perez-Carillo's La Gloria line. What I did not like was the draw ... these were way way too
loose. A cigar that is too loose is as much of a struggle to smoke as one that is way too tight IMHO. Come to think of it, many of the Glorias that I have smoke could have been tighter , again IMHO.

I am not saying that El Credito is bad, I enjoyed them, I just like El Rico Habano better , harsh flavor and all.

Big thanks to everyone for the suggestions !!!

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
i think i put one of these in the box pass. also think i could kick myself for doing so after reading this!!! nice review!!!