What's new

ELO 1 vs ELO 3

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Well sometimes you say to yourself "how have I not tried this or tried that"...especially at a price that's that hard, NOT to resist. Well after considering all the hype I figured it was time to give these a shot.
First of all these are the Veruco blends. representing the West and East blend I really thought there was some difference to the blends themselves but found out that the only difference is the size not the blend. After all this time on BOTL I never knew that but to be honest I'm not quite the Tatuaje conisewer I'd like to think I am. (Thanks Justin! lol). Anyways I picked up a fiver of each (and smoked two of each) so I could give them both a fair shake and make my decision from that.

IMG_0673.jpg

The ELO vitolas are Tatuaje blends from the My Father Cigars factory.
FULL bodied, Nicaraguan Puro. As full bodied and full flavored as they come.
ELO1 - 6 1/4 x 52
ELO3 - 5 1/2 x 54
So seeing how these two cigars are really the same blend I'll spare you puff by puff detail with each one. However I will compare the flavor profile of each one, it's burning time, and burn issues.
Both of these cigars are nice in weight and feel silky smooth. There are noticable viens on them and slight wrapper spottings but nothing that bothers the eye. (These are concidered seconds afterall). The smell is the typical Veruco spicyness and I swear I sneeze everytime I roll the cigar under my nose. It is a very nice aroma and my mouth is already watering with anticapation (I told you these were seconds..right lol).

IMG_0667.JPG

The Cut, Light, and Draw
ELO #1...Surprisingly there is a slight draw tightness to these so the light seems a bit harsh. However once you get the fire burning it stays lit well. The first inch is very strong and the spice is working it's way as the front runner on flavor. The Draw is still a bit tight but not difficult, maybe a bit, but the flavor in the first third is very stong and full. I am already forgetting about any draw issues and enjoying this smoke alot. The burn in the first third was wayword at first but after a couple touch ups it burned nicely.
ELO #3...Although I really like the size of the ELO #1 better I wanted a few of these as well...there close enough for me anyways. The draw on this cigar was nice and easy compared to the #1. The burn was good and fast and I didn't get as much of the Harshness off the bat like I did with the #1. Ofcourse I wasn't toking on it as hard as the one either so it's close to a wash but not quite. I can get the flavor on this one quicker than the #1 which I find wierd because it's usually the thinner ring gauges that offer the most flavor. Again I think this could all have to do with how each cigar handles the draw. Both of these cigars offer copious amounts of smoke and flavor. Both cigars hold there ash as well too however the #3 holds it's burn better and I didn't have to touch up at all in the first third. The taste on this cigar is noticeably stronger than the #1. It seems more sweeter and rifined.
Second Third of Both.
Comming into two thirds of both these cigars it's well obvious that I like both and having a hard time making a difference which one I'd pick over the other. I think the #3 is a bit better but it's burning quicker than I'd like. Both remain nice and strong on both body and flavor. Taste is the same as the front third with just alot of nice spice. Very typical of the Veruco blend. I think it's like a cocktail of dark coffee, honey, cinnamon, and earth. Something a bit floral about it too. Anyways both burn very sharp and the ash is nice and solid. The #1 is still a bit tight and the #3 is very easy.

IMG_0668.JPG

Final Third and Thoughts
The burn into and through the final third of both of these turned. The #1 at about 2 inches kept going out if I didn't keep puffing on it and the #3 had some wrapper issues at this point. In fact the first #3 split on me and the second #3's wrapper was comming loose. So both #1's needed some relighting and both #3's had wrapper issues...in a nut shell...just wierd.
like I said in the beginning I smoked two of each of these because I thought rest in the humi might contradict a bit for cigars of the same blend.
However even with these issues I wanted these cigars to last longer. Both maintained a very nice strength and flavor till the very end.
breaking way into the nub of these was almost sad in a way. I'm really glad I took the leap and jumped on these "Seconds" as I shy away from all cigars with than name attached.

IMG_0670.JPG

It just goes to show that you NEVER KNOW, and how the reviews from BOTL and it's members do in-fact influence my decisions almost 100% of the time.
In clossing I will give props to the #3 for just barely, and I mean barely, having a better draw and flavor over the #1.
But...I will by more #1's because I prefer the smoking time it offers over the #3.
Burning time for the #1...2hrs
Burning Time for the #3...1hr 20min

Thanks for your time!!

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Nice review Ciggy!

One thing I wanted to point out is that the original ELO1s and ELO3s were from 2008 and they were not "2nds" but instead Verocu (2007) "overruns". Apparently when Pete ran out of bands he packaged up the Verocu in foil in the boxes (similiar to the latest T110 release) after he ran out of boxes he sold the rest to NHC to be sold as ELOs. The new release would be neither a 2nd or an overrun because they were rolled specifically to be sold as ELOs (and Verocu "Experimental Blends" or something along those lines at other retailers).

JP8

USAF Retired
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Nice review Tom. I had the same tight draw with the #1 as well. I haven't tried the #3 but I plan on getting some.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Great idea and execution of a well-needed review. That's a lot of cigars to be smokin at the same time. Well done! I think I'll let mine rest a bit longer.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Didn't notice draw issue with any of the #1's I have smoked, but do agree that they be better with some rest. kinda edgy right now.

Thanks for the reviews!

MiamiE

Herfing 24/7
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Both are very wet still and need time to dry up for sure. I've had burn issues with all 3 that I've smoked.

mk05

It is what it is
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The bundles need some sitdown time, I thought they were quite wet - kept going out, flavors were muddled, had that metallic aftertaste - the usual signs.

My b&m left some bundles out to dry for awhile so people could enjoy them, and I smoked them after a week of drying out. The draw improved considerably and the flavors started to come through. Still, no substitute to actually aging it properly!

cigarhombre

Broadleaf addict
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I agree, def. need a good amount of rest. I got a bundle of each; smoked one of the ELO3s as soon as they arrived. Haven't tried the ELO1 yet. (the fact that the ELO3 needed considerable rest, I assumed the same for the other)

I think I'll try another one in six months, see how they come along. Still 100% glad I bought a bundle of each!

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Nice review Ciggy!

One thing I wanted to point out is that the original ELO1s and ELO3s were from 2008 and they were not "2nds" but instead Verocu (2007) "overruns". The new release would be neither a 2nd or an overrun because they were rolled specifically to be sold as ELOs (and Verocu "Experimental Blends" or something along those lines at other retailers).
Thanks J for clearing that up. I just took the site's expanation the wrong way then.

Great idea and execution of a well-needed review. That's a lot of cigars to be smokin at the same time. Well done! I think I'll let mine rest a bit longer.
I actually only smoke one cigar a day...I smoked the first pair right when I got them and the second more than a week later for the review.

Didn't notice draw issue with any of the #1's I have smoked, but do agree that they be better with some rest. kinda edgy right now. Thanks for the reviews!
I actually thought about dry boxing them but I think you and everyone else is correct on the whole "aging" thing with these.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Great review. Convinced me to pull the trigger on two more fivers of the #1's before they are gone. :) Looks like they are sold out on the NHC site now.

MiamiE

Herfing 24/7
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I took my bundle of ELO3 out of their cello and placed them in a Barclay Rex cab. I was also able to squeeze in 5 of the ELO1 in as well. All naked. Lets see what the cedar does to them.