What's new

End of an era

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Well today is a very sad day indeed. As many of you may know I have always been a very outspoken supporter of the blackberry format for phones. I love a physical keyboard, Blackberry Messanger is probably the best app available on any format, they still push email like no other format, some of the older ones are the best built phones for durablity out there, even with thier touch screens they have a physical back button which all phones should haveand finally it is scary how many Canadian pension plans are way too heavily invested in it(think they would have learned from NORTEL?). That said I have spent the last few months working in an enviroment with little cell coverage and my torch has not seen a battery last a full day in quite some time. Yesterday was the last straw, not for me really but my business partner said no more while I was out of the office had my phone canceled and a new iPhone 4s hooked up. I must say the phone is great only real pet peeve is the lack of a back button. Final thoughts are that I guess I use it too much as a toy with that might as well get the best toy phone out there.

RIP my BB

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I loved my crackberry but once you get passed BBM and Brickbreaker the world of Iphones/androids really are much more advanced platforms. RIM really needs to step up their game or I personally feel they will become obsolete in 2 years tops :(

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I used to be a BB guy for a long time until my company switched everyone to iPhone's a year or so ago. I love my iPhone now & can't ever see myself going back to a BB. It took a while for me to get used to not having a physical keyboard or back button like you mentioned, but the pros far outweigh the cons, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FireDoc83

Cigar Assassin
Rating - 98.5%
108   1   0
Welcome aboard. It's about time you guys start getting out of the stone age.

Sent from the voices in my head using Tapatalk

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Yeah I know. Think RIM had better work harder on leveraging BBM or their days are numbered. Easily the best app I have ever seen on a phone. With the hardware of a really good phone and may still be competitive in the market.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Yeah I know. Think RIM had better work harder on leveraging BBM or their days are numbered. Easily the best app I have ever seen on a phone. With the hardware of a really good phone and may still be competitive in the market.
Some programs like Handcent SMS and the iphones equivalent are up there now in terms of quality messaging apps. And you don't even have to input other peoples ID#'s like you do with BBM.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Sorry you're sad man, but welcome to 2012. :thumbsup::clap::dance::hysterica:razz:

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Well today is a very sad day indeed. As many of you may know I have always been a very outspoken supporter of the blackberry format for phones. I love a physical keyboard, Blackberry Messanger is probably the best app available on any format, they still push email like no other format, some of the older ones are the best built phones for durablity out there, even with thier touch screens they have a physical back button which all phones should haveand finally it is scary how many Canadian pension plans are way too heavily invested in it(think they would have learned from NORTEL?). That said I have spent the last few months working in an enviroment with little cell coverage and my torch has not seen a battery last a full day in quite some time. Yesterday was the last straw, not for me really but my business partner said no more while I was out of the office had my phone canceled and a new iPhone 4s hooked up. I must say the phone is great only real pet peeve is the lack of a back button. Final thoughts are that I guess I use it too much as a toy with that might as well get the best toy phone out there.

RIP my BB
Traitor.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
At least you've got iMessage & Face Time now though! ;)

Don't know if you have kids or not, but my 5 year old son loves quite a few of the free game apps on my iPhone as well.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I loved my crackberry but once you get passed BBM and Brickbreaker the world of Iphones/androids really are much more advanced platforms. RIM really needs to step up their game or I personally feel they will become obsolete in 2 years tops :(
Unfortunately for RIM their OS is way out of date already and basically obsolete. They really need something to turn them around or you're going to see the only two major players in the smart phone game with Android and iOS.

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I will support the Blackberry until it goes away, while the execs at my company have the iPhone and Droid, my little dingleberry as I call it works darn well as an office away from the office. Push to talk also limits what phone we can use, I spend much time on it working with technicians in the field.