What's new

Engagement Ring Question

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So I have a question regarding how much is to much to spend and what is the rule of thumb.

I've been with my awesome girl for almost 6 years, 6 years in June. I'm working on my Ph.D. so I'm living off a stipend of 1,500/month. with $620 going to rent, utilities and car.

That doesn't leave me with a lot. I personally think colour and clarity is more important that size. I've done some searching and most places I go into are saying that 1.5 ct with being colorless and having great clarity is close to 8 - 10k.

I know some of your guys have to be married or been engaged please shed some light on this.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
You can snag a good sized stone if you get them manufactured. You can't tell the difference unless you're in the jewelry business and the difference is slight any how (fractions of fractions in color distribution or something.) Personally I'd buy what you can and you think she'll like. I think she'll be psyched more about being engaged than the stone that's on her finger.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My two cents:
First penny, my wife is a buyer in the jewelry biz and she would agree with you that color and clarity are more important than size. Do some shopping around because you will find that if it is cut right and is a brilliant stone, it will look bigger. Your fiance wants something that will sparkle and be noticed not a large dull rock.
Yes I know too much about jewelry. I collect cigars and wine she collects jewelry.
Second penny:
I am a financial advisor and to the question as to how much to spend, depends. If you are getting a PhD and living on a small fixed income but it will drastically increase then thin about what you will be able to afford. If it is only going to go up slightly don't saddle yourself with large payments on a ring. As much as she wants a ring you will both want a house. Also you need to factor in student loan payments that may be coming.
A good economical choice is to buy a loose stone and put it into a simple setting. As cash flow improves you can then go get a more elaborate setting with additional diamonds etc.

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My two cents:
First penny, my wife is a buyer in the jewelry biz and she would agree with you that color and clarity are more important than size. Do some shopping around because you will find that if it is cut right and is a brilliant stone, it will look bigger. Your fiance wants something that will sparkle and be noticed not a large dull rock.
Yes I know too much about jewelry. I collect cigars and wine she collects jewelry.
Second penny:
I am a financial advisor and to the question as to how much to spend, depends. If you are getting a PhD and living on a small fixed income but it will drastically increase then thin about what you will be able to afford. If it is only going to go up slightly don't saddle yourself with large payments on a ring. As much as she wants a ring you will both want a house. Also you need to factor in student loan payments that may be coming.
A good economical choice is to buy a loose stone and put it into a simple setting. As cash flow improves you can then go get a more elaborate setting with additional diamonds etc.
Exactly what I was thinking picking up a loose stone and a simple setting.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Go for a cut that you like . I'm into marquise cuts for all of my wife's rings, I just like how it captures the like better but it lacks the depth that a radiant.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Its tough ring shopping. It took me two days. The whole two days.haha I bought her a ring that isn't the norm and wasn't as expensive as it looks. I went for a vintage looking ring because that's her style. If you know her style or what she likes it makes it a little easier. I would say stay within your means because then you give yourself room to outdo yourself in the future and the ring doesn't become a burden. I went with one of her good friends too. Good luck bro!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I learned more than I wanted to know about diamonds when I was shopping, but I forgot it all since then. I do remember clarity made a huge difference and that sparkle is a nice thing! I did buy a smaller diamond that had better clarity as I could easily tell the difference. No one can tell you what is the correct amount to spend, only you know this. Just buy what feels right and you can't go wrong.

okia42

Billy
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
My two cents:
Second penny:
Agree

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
When I was ring shopping I took my wife's hand size into account also. I ended up with a .9ct square radiant stone. I guess they're fairly hard to find. I forget color and clarity but I know it was on the better end. I got a simple setting and came in under $6,000. Of course I bought it though a family friend so I think I got a bit of a discount. I went loose stone and picked out a setting. Look into square radiants they're square and sparkley (or damn near) like princess with out the fragile corners.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
All great advice above. I say buy what you can afford. If she loves you, she'll love the ring.
.....x2:thumbsup: Walk into a jewelry store with her and watch what she gravitates toward. Sometimes unique is better than traditional.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Will this be just "an engagement ring" or part of a "wedding/engagement ring" set? That will make a difference. Keep it simple, the ring means something special between the two of you.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
My two cents:
Second penny:
A spot on answer!!
I've been married 17 years to my beautiful wife and I baught her a ring with no regrets. I spent $5,000. and it took me 2 years to pay off. It was originaly like around 8 or 9 thousand but I waited and got it on a great sale. The ring is platinum and the diamonds are close to flawless as you can get in that price range. It came with a certification/warrenty and we have it insured as well. It's really tough when you first start out (I know) but the ring is a symbol and something a woman prizes more than anything. It solidifies her stature among other married women and will be scrutinized by all of them. So In my opinion do the best you can and make sure it's certified. You wont regret it and niether will she!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Hey Bro I would pick out your setting with her and then figure out what size and what price range you're willing to go as a couple. Put a CZ in there until you start making better money when you get your PH.D. Why put yourself out now and get her something that you may always look back at as, damn wish I would have gotten her that bigger rock or that better quality rock. This is just an observation. I was very lucky when I got my wifes rock, got a great diamond that was just he right size and she loved the setting that I surprised her with. But that was just luck imho.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
When I set out for mine I of course wanted her to be happy but did not want to overstretch my means. I have friends and my own parents who started small and as life allowed in the future upgraded for anniversary gifts.

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Congrats on the decision Bro! A lot of valid advice above. I bought what I could reasonably afford in 1980 and upgraded some 10 years later. Last year we went a good bit larger with even better quality. Your lady will be thrilled either way, and you'll always have the ace up your sleeve to upgrade when it seems right.

Diamonds are one of the few things that don't depreciate; they're always worth what you paid and then some. That said, we never considered trading up. We still have the original and the second.

Good Luck!

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
All good advice. You are pretty close to Houston and there is a decent jewelery shop here called the Houston Diamond Exchange. They are national, but from what I gather have good prices on nice stones. Here is a link http://www.jewelryexchange.com/ . You can always upgrade. I spent too much on my wifes, but she loved and that made me happy. Don't put yourself in a bind over the ring though. Just my .02. Hope this helps.

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
A spot on answer!!
I've been married 17 years to my beautiful wife and I baught her a ring with no regrets. I spent $5,000. and it took me 2 years to pay off. It was originaly like around 8 or 9 thousand but I waited and got it on a great sale. The ring is platinum and the diamonds are close to flawless as you can get in that price range. It came with a certification/warrenty and we have it insured as well. It's really tough when you first start out (I know) but the ring is a symbol and something a woman prizes more than anything. It solidifies her stature among other married women and will be scrutinized by all of them. So In my opinion do the best you can and make sure it's certified. You wont regret it and niether will she!
Man you all make me look like a cheap-o. LOL
We got our set on sale from a store for $495 with the 1/4 ct princess cut.
It was certified as flawless so I got a good deal. plus they will replace the ring if it get damaged as long as we bring it in every 6 months. We have had to do this once when the diamond came out while Marie was working.

Moral of the story is Find what she likes and do not let price be the issue.
Its more important that she loves what she is getting and she love you more!