What's new

Enlighten me please - difference between salomon and figuardo?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I REALLY enjoy a salomon/salomones style of cigar. The shape is quite unusual and a treat for the eyes, at least mine! I also like the easy-to-light foot as I'm a boater and if not out on the boat, at least on the dock - and it tends to be windy. From what I understand, a salomon is a "fisherman's/boating cigar" - hence the easy to light point.

Enlighten me please - any difference between salomon and figuardo?

BTW - just got in this shipment from CI last week, LOVE IT!

Summertime Salomon Sampler
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=SP-CIDD106&stext=salomon

Started off with the Man o' War, it was NICE and tasty, hints of chocolate, coffee, leather, etc.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
To the best of my understanding, a Salomon is a type of Figurado. The term "Figurado" refers to any cigar with a shape that isn't "normal", shall we say. The "Salomon" is a specific type of "Figurado" with certain standard measurements.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
FIGURADOS

Although most cigars are straight-sided cylinders with one rounded end, there are a number of traditional cigar formats with more novel shapes--the figurados. Different manufacturers have interpreted these names differently, so you might, for example, find a cigar that fits the description below of a pyramid, but is called a belicoso. There is no perfect consensus, but generally here's what the figurados look like:

--PYRAMID: A sharply tapered and closed-headed cigar with a wider open foot. These cigars are between 6 and 7 inches with a ring gauge of around 40 at the head that widens to 52 to 54 at the foot.

--BELICOSO: Traditionally, a belicoso was a short pyramid, 5 or 5 1/2 inches in length with a shorter, more rounded taper at the head and a ring gauge generally of 50 or less. Today, "belicosos" are frequently coronas or corona gordas with a tapered head.

--TORPEDO: A torpedo has a closed foot, a pointed head and a bulge in the middle.

--PERFECTO: Like a torpedo, the perfecto has a closed foot and a bulge in the middle. The difference is that the head is rounded rather than pointed. Perfectos can vary greatly in length, from 4 1/2 to 9 inches, and can have a ring gauge between 38 and 48.

--CULEBRA: This exotic shape, made up of three panetelas braided together and banded as one cigar, makes it clear why cigars have sometimes been called "ropes." The three parts are unbraided and smoked separately. They are usually 5 to 6 inches in length, most often with a 38 ring gauge. Culebras are relatively rare these days. If you acquire one, you might consider finding two other cigar aficionados and turning the smoking of your culebra into an occasion.

--SALOMON: The Salomon is a large cigar, usually 60 ring gauge by 7 inches, and is tapered at both ends and often finished with a nipple foot. Larger than a perfecto and smaller than a diadema, it is a difficult size to produce, requiring an uncommon skill level and about twice the rolling time of a normal parejo-style cigar. Usually, only a handful of factory rollers are qualified to make them, and in Cuba, most are made without molds.

--DIADEMAS : A big cigar--8 inches or longer. The head is closed and tapered, with a ring gauge of 40 while the foot, which can be open, or closed like a perfecto, is a hefty 52 ring gauge, or larger.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Nice info Larry, the whole Torpedo, Belicoso, Pyramid thing has always flustered me.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Very good definitions. Well as far as definitions go on cigar sizes, shapes, etc. All the freaking different names for the same thing always keeps you on your toes. It's especially fun when one definition overlaps into another when describing shapes and sizes.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
One thing not yet mentioned, salomones are double figurados. Meaning both cap and foot are given a shape.