What's new

Espresso Machines

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have a Gaggia Carezza and I love it. The best part about Gaggias is that almost all of them share the same internals. The only difference is cosmetic and perhaps greater tank capacity.
Until you step up to the Baby which has a 3-way valve.
The Espresso is a fine machine, for me it was a toss up between that and the Carezza. The Girl thought the Carezza looked better so it won.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
my italian professors would all just use a little portable percolator steam espresso machine. I think they go for like 30 bucks, but they made awesome coffee. Real nice pulls, almost a ristretto it seemed like, but damn good coffee. No bitterness almost sweet. Yeah, so I think its more about the person making the coffee than the coffee maker, but I think with those kinds of espresso machines quality does make a difference.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Glad to see another Home Barista in the works! The Gaggia has gotten quite a good rep as a entry home espresso machine, good choice!

General coffee wisdom is that the grinder is the most important piece of equipment. Mark Prince (CoffeeGeek.com) has been quoted innumerable times as saying the he has made better espresso with $200 espresso machine and an expensive grinder than with a $50 grinder and a $1500 espresso machine.

The key is an even grind. And this is even more important with espresso than with regular coffee since the process is so intensified.

When you're ready to get a new grinder, The Rocky has been highly recommended in the past.

I've been making espressos everyday for over a year with

and this

and if you really get into this, check out Home-barista.com enjoy!

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I would love to get one but I just don't have the counter space, I just go to my local coffee shop if I realy need one......... For now that is.

owljones

habanoholics anonymous
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
When I was looking into machines, I was told to use most of my budget on a capable grinder. I ended up buying the Gaggia Espresso. It's a very good entry level machine and it very affordable. The grinder I got was a second hand Nuova Simonelli MCF grinder, which retails for about $400 new. If you're looking for a grinder, and want to buy a new one, I'd look into the Cunill Tranquilo for about $200. That would be the bare minimum I would recommend, or else it will be a very frustrating espresso learning curve.

Remember, grinder first, then machine. Good Luck on your search.

An Expobar and Macap is very nice too :thumbsup:

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Charles is right. All Coffeegeeks will repeat the mantra "grinder first - brewer second". It's true.

The limiting factors when you are talking grinders for espresso machines are 1) grind uniformity (the fundamental grinder consideration) and 2) grind fineness.

I'm not sure that the Cuisinart will grind fine enough to allow you to follow the espresso golden rule: 1 - 1.5 oz in 20 to 25 seconds. This is key to helping avoid bitter or sour espresso.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I have a Gaggia Carezza and I love it. The best part about Gaggias is that almost all of them share the same internals. The only difference is cosmetic and perhaps greater tank capacity.
Until you step up to the Baby which has a 3-way valve.
The Espresso is a fine machine, for me it was a toss up between that and the Carezza. The Girl thought the Carezza looked better so it won.
I bought this one.....next purchase, a grinder.