What's new

Everclear in a zippo.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to get into a debate on how safe this is. Just wondering if Everclear would impart any kind of flavor to a stick.

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
BDC - Thunderbird Zippo Inserts are nice, but the ignition button can get hot if you use it for more than 15-20 seconds... They also make soft flame inserts (both pipe [angled] and cigar [out the top]) that take butane. I have one of those and love it.

I like to toast with a torch, then gently puff about a half inch over a soft flame to get a nice even burn started off

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
i would actually guess that 95% ABV beverige alchohol would burn MUCH cleaner than the naptha-stuff zippos run on. i would recommend clean wicking, wick and case (never been used, or completely rehab'd from prior use).

if you try this, PLEASE DEAR GOD DO NOT BLOW YOURSELF UP. and post pix. and get a z-plus insert for $10, easier and safer all around.

Last edited:

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Very much doubt you'd have an explosion, since you'd only ever be burning the vapor coming off the wick...

Frankly, I'd be kinda interested to see if you even run a Zippo on everclear without some modification. Sure, it's combu/stible, but I'd think you might need more heat/spark/hadouken than what a zippo flint would produce.

I'll try this if you're not going to. Happen to have a clean souvenir "zippo" a bottle of "molotov" at the house. :roundtheh

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This seems like it's just a couple steps above lighting your farts when you were a kid. Or last week. Depending on how you party.

Yet, I still say, taking all precautions possible, go for it Brother, my curiousity is totally peaked.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgeC0whElXg&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]How to Fill a Zippo With Everclear - YouTube[/ame]

From a guy I follow on YouTube. Looks like it is possible!

I'll try it for myself this evening though.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
the problem i see is exactly the evaporation rate, which at 95% is quite high. a little over-soak, or an ill-fitting case, is what has me worried.

luck, man.
Yep, if the whole thing goes up and the everclear vapor which is almost pure alcohol gets trapped in the zippo then eventually the flame hits it and boom. Unlikely but even a best case has the thing turning into a fireball. This would be no different than filling it with Acetone or another low flash industrial solvent.