What's new

Everest: Beyond the Summit

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
anybody watched this show on the Discovery channel?? been watching this for the past couple of hours. i cant believe what these happy-a**holes put themselves through in order to summit. just did a little research and found a site that offers expeditions in march 07 for 2 people for the bargain price of $78,000.

although, how cool would it be to smoke an opus x at 29,000 feet???

could you even light a cigar at that altitude????? :dunno:

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I've seen some documentaries about mountain climbing and the people that do this are definately A-type personalities. The effects of low oxygen, low atmospheric pressure and low temps on the body at high altitude can be quite devastating.

At the top of Everest there is approx 15% of the oxygen you have at sea level ... so that combined with an avg temp of -33F and you would probably find cigar burning near impossible.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I would think it would be R E A L cool!!!! Call when you arrive and I'll put another log on the fire and spark up your favorite.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
anybody watched this show on the Discovery channel?? been watching this for the past couple of hours. i cant believe what these happy-a**holes put themselves through in order to summit. just did a little research and found a site that offers expeditions in march 07 for 2 people for the bargain price of $78,000.

although, how cool would it be to smoke an opus x at 29,000 feet???

could you even light a cigar at that altitude????? :dunno:
$78,000

What a deal!

:rofl:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I watched the entire series, It was crazy to see what they had to go through.

One guy climbed with no legs!!!

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
amazing show, and an amazing physical feat for those who make it too the top, and even for those who get close. The one thing that I question is that climbing Everest seems to have turned into a quest of the wealthy. I know nothing about mountain climbing. It was just strange seeing the Sherpas lay out those safety lines, and seeing that ladder tied into place. Seems to be more of a guided tour for those seeking thrills. Looks like they have cheapened the accomplishment. Dont get me wrong, those who make it are tough, but it just wasnt what I expected.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Seems like big money thrill seeking. Well choreographed. Lots of risk. BTW not enough 02 to light the cigar. Smoked a cigar at the top of Mt. Whitney at 14,495 feet and it almost killed me. Brain cells are looking for oxygen and you give them noxoious gases.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I was glued to that the other day. Incredible. The odds are so stacked against you making a summit and, if you do, you probably end up losing some digits.