What's new

Every time we go to the doctor...Updated- All is going well!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I know how you feel. My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Amblyopia (lazy eye) and hearing loss when she started kindergarten. It's crazy that we missed it, especially during her well-child exam that is required prior the start of kindergarten (they test for these things specifically...along with the shots). Her lazy eye isn't the type where her eye wanders, hers deals with major differences in vision between her eyes. Because her vision was so bad in her right eye, her brain shuts it off. We've tried for years using various techniques as recommended by the doctors with no success. Even with corrective lenses, there is a good chance her brain won't ever allow it to work again. I want to cry for her when I sit through the eye exams and she can't read the largest line on the eye chart with her bad eye, but can read the smallest line with her good eye. Her hearing loss was corrected by removing her adnoids and putting tubes in her ears to allow fluid to drain and let the ear drums move freely.

When she was ~3 years old, we noticed her eating rocks and dirt. We had to take her to get her blood tested and scheduled an MRI for her as well. She was iron deficient, but that was the worst of it. Some vitamins for a short period of time was all she needed. Today she is fine without any need for additional supplements.

The hardest part for me as a parent was the guilt I felt because some of these things were traits that are inherited. They were all things that my wife and I didn't have to experience until our late teens at the earliest, but our baby has to deal with the same stuff at the age of 3.

Staying strong and being supportive of your children is the only thing you can do as a parent. I hope for only the best for you and your son. At least the doctors are finding these things now before it's too late and the damage is irreversible.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm just curious about his appetite...was he just not eating enough iron rich foods? It's a little more rare now a days but they might want to check his lead levels. Lead toxicity is a very common cause of a microcytic anemia....but its not always checked. It's good to hear though that it was something very easily taken care of. That is certainly a blessing.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The thoughts are that more iron rich foods are needed. We looked at lead levels a few weeks back and have yearly since he was 2. They have all been normal except when he was 2. There was result that was high, but has never shown up that way since. As a toddler we used to catch him with mouthfulls of mulch or rocks and wonder if the iron deficiency has been going on since then. He just became better at hiding it. Definietly has been an issue for the last 1 1/2 years based on the results from routine testing. The shame is that no one pointed it nor acted on the results then.