What's new

Evolution Of Math In The United States

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 2009

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok.)

6. Teaching Math In 2020

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I filled up my car with gas last month. I topped it off at $12.50. I gave the girl $20.50. she just looked at me. She had to go & ask for help. Then she still gave me back way to much money. She asked me "is that enough?" I corrected it for her & told her she was lucky that I was honest. A few dishonest people & she might loose her job. Come to think of it maybe she did because I never see her there anymore. I think we are dumbing down today's youth & this just proves it!

ezrider

ezrider
Rating - 97.1%
43   1   0
It's a Freekin shame our children do not know HOW to count....give change back, or tell time if it is not computerized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
HAHA .5 is so true. I work with the Clemson University department of agriculture, forestry and life sciences during the summer. You should see some of the letters that PETA sends them, it is so funny.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
[ame="http://www.break.com/dos-equis/hippies-cry-for-trees.html"]Hippies Cry for Trees Video@@AMEPARAM@@http://embed.break.com/570640@@AMEPARAM@@570640[/ame]

... Yeah, these people know nothing about forestry...

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
I run into these mathmatical nutbags all of the time. I just shake my head and let them give me all the f'in change they got.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I run into these mathmatical nutbags all of the time. I just shake my head and let them give me all the f'in change they got.
I've done that, and at times I've even thanked them, told them their mistake and still left with the extra cash. I love the look on their face.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I don't even try to do that anymore. I tried for a while but is causes more headaches.

Also I would sometime order a large meal at BK and them when they would go to give me the extra large cup for the soda I would ask for a smaller one. I told here that the extra large cups don't fit in my holder and that woulod always get a call from the manager.