What's new

Exercise bike problem

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The wife bought an excercise bike and announced that I will be doing 30 minutes a day. So tried it last night, everything was fine until I got off and realised that a certain part of me was numb and the pins and needles were uncomfortable to say the least !

Had a look on line and it is a problem for male cyclists.

So can anyone recommend a different seat or a cover that is shaped to prevent this problem ?

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Adjust the tilt of the seat. You have to play with it to get it right. It's not about cushion (that actually pushes up into that region.) it's about your sit bone (ass bones) placement on the seat. The more aggressive of a position you take on the bike (think cyclists you see on the road) will move your sit bones closer together as you lean forward. If you are in more of an upright position, (think casual rider) they will move farther apart. They need to be resting on the seat properly, not hanging off the edge. If your seat doesn't have enough forward tilt, the nose will push up into that area and apply pressure as you lean forward. Same thing if the seat isn't wide enough and your sit bones hang off. A good bike shop can help you measure the distance between them. Before going that route, I recommend playing with the tilt of your seat. Little adjustments at a time; even an 1/8-1/4 inch downward pitch can have a big impact.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Know the pain brother. I put a beach cruiser seat on mine with a fuzzy cover. If my fat ass is going to ride it is going to be in comfort.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Oh boy do I know your pain. I am a pretty avid cyclist (was a road guy and now mountain) and this is something that I dealt with when I started. I always joke with my buddies that cycling isn't about lung endurance, it's about "taint" endurance hahah

Since your riding a stationary just grab a towel, fold it a time or two and that will help. If this is something your going to be doing quite a bit, then you better build up that endurance ahhaa It goes away after a few time. Or at least it did for me.