What's new

Exhaust fan advice

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Lots out there regarding building a smoking room in a house or garage and just as much regarding exhaust fans.
My buddy has built a smoking shed that measure just a hair over 9'x9'. It is detached from the house. There is a big ass window on the front side (4'x6'). There will probably never be more than two people smoking in there at any given time.
Since I'll be one of those people I want to do tribute by providing the exhaust fan. I was thinking of all he needs is a bathroom exhaust fan. I've been looking at the Panasonic whisper fans (150cfm). Since the space is not attached to anything and the fan will be in close proximity I didn't want to go with anything annoyingly loud (after all, smoking is a relaxing function).
I was also looking at attic vent fans but can't find a sound rating on any of those. It would be better flow tenfold BUT if it going to be loud it will defeat the purpose.

Here are the two mentioned above:
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Panasonic-WhisperCeiling-150-CFM-Ceiling-Exhaust-Bath-Fan-ENERGY-STAR-FV-15VQ5/203762023/

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Broan-1020-CFM-Power-Gable-Mount-Attic-Ventilator-353/203481807/

Any thoughts?

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I saw that one too. Never thought about the dimmer idea. That fan is louder though with a 2.0 sonans output. It's about as loud a typical bathroom fan.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Let's say you want to change the air in the room 15 times per hour. 9x9x12 (ceiling) = 972 cubic feet x15 times per hour 14,580 cubic feet per hour / 60 mins = 243 cubic feet per min. This doesn't take into account air exchanges through door and windows if they are left open. You may want to size this so you can close the doors and windows and add a heater. The 290 listed above will be a better selection than the attic ventilator which will be noisy as hell.

Note 15 air exchanges will change the air every four mins. This will draw in a lot of air, even if you close to heat the room you will need fresh air.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Oh forgot you likely can't use a light dimmer switch, they do make them that will handle the load of a fan, just need to make sure the switch is rated for the load of the fan

Rating - 100%
43   0   0

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I can probably give you the longest answer per anyone here possible after three years of smoking in my 15k dollar (built by my hands) home cigar lounge. Air exchanges per hour/heat per Sq ft. And so forth........
All I can tell you with out this being 3 pages long. (Anyone for that matter) is if your going to build a room. Place a exhaust vent right above the smokers heads. EXACTLY OVER EACH OF THEIR HEADS. I can not stress this enough!
I "fixed" or tweaked my rooms air by using a simple 10 dollar dryer vent tubing when I'm in it alone. And I have over a couple thousand into the motor/duct work/intake heater etc. alone. By placing the exit vent (notice I didn't say motor, just the vent) it forces the rising cigar smoke to leave immediately. This keeps a room clean for a very long time.
You see cigar smoke doesn't care if you refresh the air 5-10x-30x a hr! Many times it will exit your mouth and travel 5 ft and land on all available surfaces until YOU decide to clean it.
I'm down to cleaning my room about every 3 weeks. And trust me when I say the only exceptable room imo is one you can't smell any stale cigar smoke in a day later.
So,
step 1: find a exhaust fan motor that's around 200-250 cfm but that's separate from the ductwork.
Step 2: install motor away from seating areas.
Step3: run flex or round duct to vents in room above the occupant's heads.
Step 4: If ceiling height is high, place a lowered bulk head in which the vents are only a couple feet above the smoker's heads. ( this will pull all smoke out but not be loud because the motor is far away.)
Step 5: enjoy one of the sweetest setups on BOTL. This room will work well and stay very clean.
Lmk if this makes sense......

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Forgot to mention my room is supplied by 8 in solid round duct and vented by 10x12" square duct into a Broan 1200cfm motor. But at 10 percent running on the speed selector and using the 4in dryer vent right to my ashtray. I have to clean the room once a month. So unless I have company over I use the set up with the dryer vent. (I just made a cardboard adaptor that fits in the ceiling with the 20ft of 4" flex vent to the ashtray.....) company comes over and I run the system higher% cfm and put back in the 12X12" vent screen in the ceiling.

This is my fix for when I'm smoking alone. Blow right at the 4in flex....

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I can probably give you the longest answer per anyone here possible after three years of smoking in my 15k dollar (built by my hands) home cigar lounge. Air exchanges per hour/heat per Sq ft. And so forth........
All I can tell you with out this being 3 pages long. (Anyone for that matter) is if your going to build a room. Place a exhaust vent right above the smokers heads. EXACTLY OVER EACH OF THEIR HEADS. I can not stress this enough!
I "fixed" or tweaked my rooms air by using a simple 10 dollar dryer vent tubing when I'm in it alone. And I have over a couple thousand into the motor/duct work/intake heater etc. alone. By placing the exit vent (notice I didn't say motor, just the vent) it forces the rising cigar smoke to leave immediately. This keeps a room clean for a very long time.
You see cigar smoke doesn't care if you refresh the air 5-10x-30x a hr! Many times it will exit your mouth and travel 5 ft and land on all available surfaces until YOU decide to clean it.
I'm down to cleaning my room about every 3 weeks. And trust me when I say the only exceptable room imo is one you can't smell any stale cigar smoke in a day later.
So,
step 1: find a exhaust fan motor that's around 200-250 cfm but that's separate from the ductwork.
Step 4: If ceiling height is high, place a lowered bulk head in which the vents are only a couple feet above the smoker's heads. ( this will pull all smoke out but not be loud because the motor is far away.)
Step 5: enjoy one of the sweetest setups on BOTL. This room will work well and stay very clean.
As someone who has had the pleasure of smoking multiple cigars in Justin's lounge, I can attest to the quality of the design and build. I've been in there with 12 guys, all smoking cigars and there were only a few times when there was a noticeable amount of smoke in the air. Most of the time, though, the air was clean - so much so that we've kept pizzas in there and they never picked up even a hint of smoke. If you can eat in your cigar lounge, you know the air quality and exchange is high.

Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0
So,
Seems like you have an awesome set up. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of square footage do you have with your setup? I'm considering/already using my frog as a smoking room and the long term goal is ventilation.

Edit: I'm sure you've posted a build thread somewhere here so I'll use the search function.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
So,
If memory serves, you had an awesome thread of that build from start to finish...You should post up that link, as that was awesome to see I all come together.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Listen to Jfire, he knows his sh*t and has an awesome man-cave. lol Z, is this your buddy I met at smokey joe's? Cool he built a smoking room!

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Listen to Jfire, he knows his sh*t and has an awesome man-cave. lol Z, is this your buddy I met at smokey joe's? Cool he built a smoking room!
Yeah, its Rick, the guy you met.
I went by and as saw it today and we sat in there and smoked to see how it would feel. He built it tall and its a good space but I can't see needing a ton of venting in it. Its not super high end with insulated walls and all. Its a simple 9x9 shed that we will smoke in when its too cold outside. He's running power to it that can be disconnected when not in use and will have a simple two chair set up. His SO will have a shelf in there for some plants, herbs (not those kind), etc... and such. The roof and half way up two walls is clear corrugated material to allow light in.
I think the inline fan I looked at should work just fine. We can open the window if needed and there will be small windows up top on hinges that can be opened as well for more venting. The heat source will be either a propane unit or an electric heater.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
@ Stogieninja
If your going to have more than one chair Id spilt the vents over the main smoking chairs every single time. Unless you're going bath fan then you don't have a choice. But I'd never go bath fan route. Too loud for most rooms. Distracts you from enjoying what's on tv. And just as important Id bring a solid bulk head down over the seating area if those seats are going to be on a wall. It Lowers the exhaust vents just a couple feet over your heads. This one decision will make a smoking room work 95% efficiently or just be another smoking room that filters out a decent amount of cigar smoke.
So if you go 290cfm, place the exhuast vents directly over the smoking chairs at s lowered height I think you'll be in good shape.

Last edited: