What's new

External hard drive?

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
So apparently Windows no longer supports XP on my rather ancient PC, LOL!

This means no iTunes, which is really all we use that machine for anyway, so I have procured a pretty new Dell set up from my brother in law.(PC tower deal)

So now I need to get all the files (mostly pictures and music) from the old PC to the new Dell, and I am assuming that an external hard drive is the easiest, most cost efficient way to get her done. (Via USB)

I would kinda rather not buy the external hard drive and then return it an hour later, so I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good brand and/or model that would get this done and maybe I'll just keep the hard drive....Store some pics on it or something (?).

(I know there are a lot of you who may suggest a laptop or another method here, but I'd really like to stick to the external USB hard drive strategy since I already have the new Dell ready to go...)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
How big is your iTunes collection? You might be able to get away with using a large USB stick. I've always had good luck with the Seagate models I've bought. But there are plenty of other good buys out there. Just make sure to read the Amazon reviews.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
You might just want to keep the hard drive and use it as a backup location for important files, you can keep it in a fire safe or off-site in someplace like a safety deposit box. Memory is cheap and even the best hard drives fail. Having data backed up is never a bad idea.
As far as brands/models, I've used the cheapest and the most expensive, never had "problems" with any brand. Even the most expensive ones fail sometimes, though. Just buy what you're comfortable spending on. If it's a backup anyway, that means you've already got the info saved somewhere else. In that respect, I'd buy whatever I could get the best deal on!

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I second the Costco option. However, I would visit Amazon.com and do a search for that type of product and read the reviews for such. Amazon is a good place to see what kind of successes and failures others have had with the same types of hardware.

Here's a link to the top hits for: External Hard Drives

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
seagate or western digital are the ones i have used before.

a couple other alternatives:
-connect both of them to your network and share your drives from your old computer so you can access them from your new computer on the network. probably the solution i would recommend unless you wanted to get another drive to use to transfer

-buying a second internal hard drive, or using an old one you have, and getting an external enclosure or docking station for it, like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2690RW3093 , This will allow you to use the internal drive as an external drive to get your files from your old computer and transfer them to your new one and when you are done you can use it as a second internal drive for your new setup.

-using cloud storage to transfer over, even if your storage has a limit like 15 gb that google drive offers for free, if you don't have a lot you could transfer over 15 gb at a time

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I second USB drive, 16 gb one and just copy paste into the new system. Then clear the drive and do it again till you have you're library transferred. Saves money and it's really not that hard

-Brother Broadleaf

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I would keep the external, and consider getting a second.

I lost all my data once, and almost lost it all another time due to a corrupted hard drive. So now I have two external HDs. I keep one at a safe deposit box, and the other keeps a backup of everything. Once a week I swap them out, so there's always two backups of everything within a week. This way if hard drive in the computer fails I have a backup right there, and if someone breaks into my house steals my stuff I have the backup at the safe box.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
You should really have a back up anyway. If not a hard drive make sure you back it up through Google Music which is free. I second the option of using a USB stick. They can fit a lot now.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...

I lost all my data once, and almost lost it all another time due to a corrupted hard drive. So now I have two external HDs. I keep one at a safe deposit box, and the other keeps a backup of everything. Once a week I swap them out, so there's always two backups of everything within a week. This way if hard drive in the computer fails I have a backup right there, and if someone breaks into my house steals my stuff I have the backup at the safe box.
And that's how it's done! :thumbsup:

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0

And that's how it's done! :thumbsup:
Doesn't hurt that he works where his safe deposit box is... :kissforeh

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yep, to reiterate what cgraunke said, any "quality" of hardrive can fail. It has moving parts, so you can also just do waht was suggested and use a USB drive. I just picked up a 32 GB for like $10 or 15 on woot.com
But an external is great for a backup. Kind of depends on what you want to use it for after.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Just picked up a slim Western Digital 500g at Fry's for $43. Had a gift card and couldn't really find anything else I wanted from there.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Doesn't hurt that he works where his safe deposit box is... :kissforeh
Touche! But it's going to be a little less convenient soon. I realized recently that my house and the branch are both in the lahar zone. If that mountain ever blows, keeping it in the safebox will be useless!

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
As everyone has mentioned, having a external drive for backup is highly recommended. BUT, if you don't want to spend any money, I may be able to help. I should have all the equipment necessary to transfer your data to your new computer and I live in Encino. If you want my help, just let me know.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Depending on what you got most of the cloud based systems work well. I am synched and backed up to Google drive. 15GB free. 100gb is $2.00 a month. Terabyte is $10 a month. No muss not fuss. I am done with hardware