What's new

Eyes wide open (shooting I mean)

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Ive been shooting with one eye, always have, never knew any better and its not like I shot much anyway prior to being a gun owner (which I am loving BTW).
Since buying the Glock, and being unemployed, Ive been spending a considerable amount of time on the range. About 2-3 times a week and a couple hours at a time.
At the crusty ole age of 45 the eyes aren't what they used to be and I found myself not being able to fully regain my focus for an hour or two after. I think Im a decent shot most of the time but the technique and consistency needs work. For some reason I have gravitated towards a target at my range that consists of four 6" dia bullseye style of targets.
My bets grouping was 15 shots in a 3"x3" group high and left of the bullseye.
IMG_3255.JPG IMG_3256.JPG

Ive heard that you should shoot with both eyes open and I had tried that before. For the life of me I couldnt focus on anything when trying to do that. I count grans the concept of focusing on the front sight, keeping the front and rear aligned and still being able to hit a damn target.
I watched a youtube video this morning and decided to give it a shot (pun intended). Below were are the results after running through 75 practice rounds to get the concept down. I shot at 5, 7, 10 and 13 yards, both eyes open.
Im pretty damn happy and surprised myself. The shots were slow and required blinking the left eye but it was happening. My hands got sweaty when I was shooting at 10 and 13 yards and the grip was getting tired.
This was fun today and Im going to keep practicing.
IMG_3272.JPG

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It's always fun learning new techniques. It took me a long time to become comfortable with both eyes open. Looks like your on a faster learning curve than myself, nice shooting. And practice practice practice!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a different life I use to shoot compition 22s. My non-dominate eye is so use to not focusing and just maintaining perspective that I tried closing it on a windy/dusty day, and I just couldn't do it. When you close the non-dominate eye it stresses your shooting eye. Take time, practice dry. Once you convert, you'll be pissed no one taught you correctly before.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Find your dominant eye....mine is the left one. Pick out something within about 20 feet in front of you and slowly point your finger with both eyes open above the target.. and bring your finger down to the target until both of your eyes are looking at the target ( the target will be in focus doing it this way ).....close your right eye first and see if your finger moves....if it stays on the target then you've found your dominant eye. Go ahead and check your left eye....you'll see that your finger moved away from the target. I shoot with one eye closed because I know my left eye is dominant and if I keep both eyes open people better start runnin.

Another way is this:

• Extend both hands forward of your body and place the hands together making a small triangle (approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch per side) between your thumbs and the first knuckle.
  • With both eyes open, look through the triangle and center something such as a doorknob in the triangle.
  • Close your left eye. If the object remains in view, you are right eye dominant. If closing your right eye keeps the object in view, you are left eye dominant.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Eye dominance is the key. I'm right handed and didn't realize i was left eye dominant for quite some time after learning to shoot. I had muscle memory and couldn't retrain myself to shoot left handed. I shoot right handed. When i shoot long guns i close my left eye but when shooting hand guns i close my right eye..........don't ask. I shoot my bow left handed.......

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Shooting with both eyes open is preferred. But, let's dispell some myths right now: You do not - I repeat, do NOT - need to have both eyes open to shoot well.
Some of the top shooters in the world close one eye while shooting. Matt Hopkins is the first that comes to mind.
Having a wide field of view is better for transitions, tracking your sights, etc etc. But, some people simply can not do the actual shooting part as effectively.
Here's Hopkins clearly not struggling with one eye: