What's new

Fake cohiba?

DFLguy

Yeah well, ya know, that's just like your opinion.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to imagine the guy knows. If he's giving them away I'm assuming he's getting them for dirt cheap and making a killing off them. Cheapest current retail on CoRo is $370/box of 25, and thats a great price. Theres no such thing as deals on non-maduro Cohiba and certainly no deals to be had on one of the most in demand cigars in the world.

Even if he didn't know he was selling fakes, its still scummy. He's selling and making money off a product that he knows nothing about? Even the most basic knowledge of CCs would send red flags off when seeing those bands. A brief look at the cubancigarwebsite.com page will show that the belicoso vitola you have there doesn't even exist. His line about "not thinking his guy would BS him"...give me a break. You think legit Cohibas have 2 completely different bands? If he doesn't offer you your money back, hes an asshat, simple as that.

However, and I mean no offense to this, this is what happens you jump into something with zero knowledge. You leave yourself open to get hustled, and thats what happened here. Look through the CCW site I mentioned above, lots of good info on bands and marcas, it's a great starting point for new folks and a great reference even for guys who have been in the hobby for years.
Thanks again! Yeah, I'd suspect he's lying and I won't hear another response from him. So money likely won't be coming back. It's a good learning experience though.
Again, much appreciation to you gentleman for the help!

DFLguy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! Yeah, I'd suspect he's lying and I won't hear another response from him. So money likely won't be coming back. It's a good learning experience though.
Again, much appreciation to you gentleman for the help!
On another note, I think I have something to toss into the Dog Rocket box should I join in the next go around. :-D

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had a friend bring back half a box of "Cubans" when they visited the island. They have family in the cigar business. I'm certain the cigars where rolled in Cuba and maybe even used some Cuban tobacco but instead of selling them as "farm rolls" or un-banded cigars they use the fake Cohiba bands. So yes they might legitimately be called Cuban cigars. I'm thinking US Customs has a problem with un-banded cigars.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m on my phone and it’s harder to see but the piramide in the first pic looks fake too. I’ve seen a lot of legit looking piramides extra recently that have almost perfect bands. The only giveaway is the tip of the neck touching the square just to the left of it. It should touch the square on the right but not the left and not both.

This is a legit band. The square on the left shouldn’t come in contact with the neck. 3C72E650-4C36-4A40-B28D-D71FC827E4F6.jpeg

DFLguy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on my phone and it’s harder to see but the piramide in the first pic looks fake too. I’ve seen a lot of legit looking piramides extra recently that have almost perfect bands. The only giveaway is the tip of the neck touching the square just to the left of it. It should touch the square on the right but not the left and not both.

This is a legit band. The square on the left shouldn’t come in contact with the neck. View attachment 120536
Thank you! That's super helpful. So, on closer inspection it looks like the neck is indeed touching both of the squares. So it's not legit either? It looks pretty damn good for a fake!
The one of those two that I did smoke was pretty darn tasty.
Thanks again Brothers!IMG_20180906_183511.jpg
Sorry to keep the thread going, but hopefully this will be helpful to others in the future.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you! That's super helpful. So, on closer inspection it looks like the neck is indeed touching both of the squares. So it's not legit either? It looks pretty damn good for a fake!
Thanks again Brothers!View attachment 120559
Sorry to keep the thread going, but hopefully this will be helpful to others in the future.
There have been some really legit looking bands out there. That square on the left has been the only tell I can spot (from Internet pics anyways). They have almost all been on piramides that I’ve seen too.

DFLguy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been some really legit looking bands out there. That square on the left has been the only tell I can spot (from Internet pics anyways). They have almost all been on piramides that I’ve seen too.
Thanks! That's really interesting. I have to assume the partagas lucitanias he sold me and the box they came in that he gave me were fake too since they came in the same batch from his guy as the cohibas. The box and the band look pretty good compared to everything I'm seeing online. I suppose there's a lot of money to be made passing off high quality fakes.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I had a friend bring back half a box of "Cubans" when they visited the island. They have family in the cigar business. I'm certain the cigars where rolled in Cuba and maybe even used some Cuban tobacco but instead of selling them as "farm rolls" or un-banded cigars they use the fake Cohiba bands. So yes they might legitimately be called Cuban cigars. I'm thinking US Customs has a problem with un-banded cigars.
@DFLguy Hey I Believe this. I have a relative, I see once a year. He was born over there and he gifted me a fiver on his last return. They were damn good cigars. Enjoyed them enough that I didn't want to sacrifice one by ripping it open.
I had smoke a few before I opened 1/4 unsmoked butt out of the ash tray, and it was full leaf not floor scraps. Same label and the minute you remarked about the wrapper I knew exactly what you were talking about.
Tell me about the little piece of cellophane tape that was on the end of each one LOL

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I be

@DFLguy Hey I Believe this. I have a relative, I see once a year. He was born over there and he gifted me a fiver on his last return. They were damn good cigars. Enjoyed them enough that I didn't want to sacrifice one by ripping it open.
I had smoke a few before I opened 1/4 unsmoked butt out of the ash tray, and it was full leaf not floor scraps. Same label and the minute you remarked about the wrapper I knew exactly what you were talking about.
Tell me about the little piece of cellophane tape that was on the end of each one LOL
I saved a few of the labels and put them in the dog rocket pass as a joke to @Opie . Stand by, I'll edit this with the pic

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
You're fake band's better than mine I see.
Now that have the other pic to compare ....

Yeah , We'll get ya in the next pass !

DFLguy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh, you didn't see the first post then. The decent fake is next to a terrible fake. The cigar was kind of awful too, tasted flavored, almost menthol like. I still have one of the bands to cherish for the rest of my days, or pass along like you did. :)
You're fake band's better than mine I see.
Now that have the other pic to compare ....

Yeah , We'll get ya in the next pass !

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Ohh, you didn't see the first post then. The decent fake is next to a terrible fake. The cigar was kind of awful too, tasted flavored, almost menthol like. I still have one of the bands to cherish for the rest of my days, or pass along like you did. :)
LOL save the bands for the dog rockets !

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Thanks again Brothers!View attachment 120559
I've mentioned ring gauge several times in this thread about that very stick. Unless its a 6.3" long x 54 ring gauge stick, its super fake. No other Cohiba belicosos exists in smaller ring gauges.

DFLguy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's a great point for anyone who really knows their stuff and was something I pointed out to the guy. He didnt even respond to the size point. It's an 1/8 an inch over 6, so that rules it out right off the bat as not being long enough. But for ring guage, when sitting between a 50 RG decade and 52 RG fino Toro mf the judge, it looks close to 54.
IMG_20180908_114122.jpg
You guys are the best. Thanks for being such experts in this and helping noobs out! I'm still planning on smoking the second "good fake" as I really enjoyed the first one. I wish I knew what it was so I could buy comparable ones.

Last edited: