What's new

Fakes?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Gents (and gals):

Please take a look at the two sticks on the left, they were given to me by a buddy that is a pipe smoker. One of his fellow pilots acquired them on a trip to one of the Banana Republics or some such country.

I *highly* doubt they are of Cuban origin but that's what they are purported to be. I have no $$$ in them and I plan to let them rest in my humi for awhile and then they will be ignited/enjoyed.

The bands have printed on them: HABANA CUBA

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
There seems to be a few mm variation in length between the two, and if the band says "Havana" as opposed to "Habana" that's pretty telling (I've yet to see a Cuban with the former written on the band). As far as I can tell from the picture, however, the bands do in fact say "Habana-Cuba," but I may be wrong. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the matter can provide more info, though.

Just curious: what makes you assume they're fake? The story of how your friend acquired them, I assume?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
that thought had occurred to me....although they've been sitting in a zip lock bag with a humidpak for awhile (months?) in my buddy's glovebox....heat heat heat....hmmmmm....maybe just smoke 'em quick or put them in a spare humi....

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
that thought had occurred to me....although they've been sitting in a zip lock bag with a humidpak for awhile (months?) in my buddy's glovebox....heat heat heat....hmmmmm....maybe just smoke 'em quick or put them in a spare humi....
Yeah I would just smoke em and be done with it. Real or not, I bet they burn

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
R&J Petit Caronas come wrapped in cedar and have the band on the outside, and are 5" x 39, but the band looks off to me. should just say Habana on the bottom arch and not Habana, Cuba. Without having it in my hand it is hard to tell from a blurry pic. I say light one and smoke it, who cares as long as it is good

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
There is a decent chance they are legit, seems like a tripple cap, not sure anyone would go to that much trouble for such a cheap small cigar, maybe it's a switch with diffirent cigars in the cedar, but smoke them and find out.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Yeah, Don and Brian are right––the Coronitos aren't supposed to have "Habana-Cuba" on the bottom of the band. Must be another RyJ band slipped onto that cedar....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see nothing to indicate fake. The RyJ's I have (2007) have the same appearance, wording, and such on the bands. Yes, Habana Cuba & Desde 1875 type logo band. Light one up and you'll know for sure...That is if you have experience with Habanos.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thank you again guys....regarding Habanos...I've smoked a few, no, I would not call myself an expert on *any* type of cigar....I think my favorite "Habano-fest" was a 15-night cruise from Barcelona to Galveston....I stocked up in Barcelona and had my Habanos fix every day!

I definitely plan on lighting these up, fake or not, they'll burn! Like I mentioned, I've got no $$$ in them...they seem a little dry to me so I want to get them "ready to smoke" and then they'll be gone!

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Doesn't look like these

That is the correct band for this cigar. Notice it has Habana, and not Habana, Cuba along the bottom arch.

As far as why would anyone fake a $3 cigar.

First off just because most of us know how much these sticks go for, doesn't mean everyone does. Some people might pay 4 or 5 times that for a stick they think is Cuban if they did not know anything about cigars and prices. Most people that have never smoked cigars hear Cuban , and just want to try one because they no they are not allowed.

Second if someone faked said cigar and only had $2 or $3 dollars into it, but could sell it for 4 or 5 times that, don't you think it becomes profitable at that point. The is a profit of $10 to $15 per cigar.

I am not saying that the cigar in question is not a cuban, just that I doubt it is a RyJ Petit Corona, which is what they are trying to pass it off as.

Just my $0.02

Last edited: