What's new

Fatherly advice

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Congrats! I will just say this... Your life no longer belongs to you, your child will come first. It may not come natural at first, but all it takes is your new child looking at you, and you totally getting that the child knows, just from your face, or your smile, or your voice that you are Daddy... You will be a goner... I love that my kids still to this day, look my way and my chest sticks out knowing that I am their father, and yes I made sacrifices but look what a blessing I made those for. My greatest contribution, and creation on, and to this earth is my children. I am 43 and just had a new a new son a few months back, that makes 6 kids... You will never love anything more than your kids... Yes even more than the best cigar in the world.

Chef

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Some really great advice by some terrific and experienced fathers and BOTLs.

We fathers tend to get lucky as we don't have the physical, hormonal and as many emotional changes as the mothers go through. The dealing with becoming a dad takes a little longer but as most said the minute you hold them or help with the delivery you get in your groove pretty quickly. Your feelings and concerns now are perfectly normal.

My one piece of advice is to not become so enamored with your new child that you inadvertently neglect or ignore your partner, even just a little bit. With their increased level of hormones they become more sensitive and can easily slip into depression. Get her a special gift to give to her after childbirth. Continue to tell her how beautiful she is and how brave she was to carry the baby for 9 months and that she took great care of the baby and herself. Let her know that you admire her sacrifice of having every body part change in the process...(and some to never return to their youthful firmness again!!! ).

Congratulations on becoming a father and enjoy it together as pretty soon it will be just the two of you again. My daughters are 18 and 14. Time has flown by and more and more my wife and I are finding ourselves with more time for each other again. It is hard work to stay connected to each other through the years and I haven't always done it very well....but don't ever quit.

All that said, Congratulations!!! This is such an exciting time in your Life.
I'm just another brother that is a PM or phone call away.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Yep. My kids are 33 and 35. Life changed immensely when they were born but all for the better. Change is good and essential for growth. Life would suck if you just did the same thing every day like smoke the same cigar, same job etc. Roll with it and get into it. You are not losing stuff you are sharing stuff with your future. The more you share the wilder the ride becomes.

I can tell you the first time I sat with my grown son and we shared an Opus X, it was pretty cool and worth all the sharing and cost.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Lots of great advice in this thread. As a father of a soon to be 7 year old boy and a 6 month old girl, I'll just echo what others have already said very well. At the end of the day, it's totally worth it. :tiphat:

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
As an outsider who has just been reading this thread every time I see it. I really truly cannot wait to have kids. The fiancé and I get married may 2014 and I'm hoping it will be honeymoon baby making. I absolutely love kids everything with them is so much easier no bull shit.

So as someone looking in thank you to all of you great fathers for this advise as I look forward to the day.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have any kids yet but I cannot wait to! I love kids. I can't wait to teach my children all the valuable life lessons that my father taught me. My Dad is a great man, and is an amazing, caring, and strong example of what a man/father should be. I hope to be half the dad he is! I wish you the best, Brother.