What's new

Favorite IPA??

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
These guys don't seem to think so, although I will keep an eye out for it as I love trying new stuff.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/273/751/?sort=serv&servT=8&start=10
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/4083

I find myself using beer advocate more and more as a resource for trying new stuff....like when I'm in the store looking for something i've never tried. I look at it kind of like BOTL, in that they're just guys who dig beer, doin' reviews. For the most part, I've found the average scoring to be a fairly decent indicator of how much I'll like it....but again, just for the most part.
Take beer advocate stuff with a grain of salt. Beers that the masses on that site vote high might not be your taste. I had some Smuttynose Pumpkin this year and went on to see what the reviews were like. They rated it as decent from what I remember. So either I got a bad batch or they are over friendly with their ratings. Plus I think the site is slightly biased towards certain kinds of beers because like BOTL there is a forum. With a forum comes a fanboy type attitude and while here at BOTL it tends to be Tats and DPG stuff there I gather much of it is West Coast beers like Russian River, and Stone or Rogue. I could be wrong I don't hang there much but that's the impressions I get.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Take beer advocate stuff with a grain of salt. Beers that the masses on that site vote high might not be your taste. I had some Smuttynose Pumpkin this year and went on to see what the reviews were like. They rated it as decent from what I remember. So either I got a bad batch or they are over friendly with their ratings. Plus I think the site is slightly biased towards certain kinds of beers because like BOTL there is a forum. With a forum comes a fanboy type attitude and while here at BOTL it tends to be Tats and DPG stuff there I gather much of it is West Coast beers like Russian River, and Stone or Rogue. I could be wrong I don't hang there much but that's the impressions I get.
Thanks for the advice Adam....I'm not a member, and I didn't realize there was a forum, but I guess I should've assumed there was. I can see the bias thing playing a factor, which is why I prefer to taste stuff myself...I simply use it as a guide to point me in a direction.

That said, when it comes to IPA, I have been leaning towards Californian (Sierra Nevada Torpedo/Celebration, Russian River, and now Stone.) versus my local stuff...and Oregon is indeed known for its quality of beer (Rogue, Widmer, Full Sail, Deschutes to name a few). They seem to have their IPAs figured out IMO.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Thanks for the advice Adam....I'm not a member, and I didn't realize there was a forum, but I guess I should've assumed there was. I can see the bias thing playing a factor, which is why I prefer to taste stuff myself...I simply use it as a guide to point me in a direction.

That said, when it comes to IPA, I have been leaning towards Californian (Sierra Nevada Torpedo/Celebration, Russian River, and now Stone.) versus my local stuff...and Oregon is indeed known for its quality of beer (Rogue, Widmer, Full Sail, Deschutes to name a few). They seem to have their IPAs figured out IMO.
I need to get my hands on a fresh Pliny. I know with my homebrew IPAs the hops fade after like two months big time. I did like the ones I tried but the aroma that I suspect makes it awesome was really faded last time I had some. I'm trying to think of some east coast you could look to try. When the local place releases their Nugget Nectar I'll see if I can get ya a bottle or two. Great Divide also had a very good and interesting bourbon barrel aged IPA. Least I think it was bourbon. I'm still looking to try the cedar aged Cigar City IPA.

jfsjazz

Don Lupini
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
India Pale Ale and 4Cs Pale Ale that I made myself at The Brew Kettle in Strongsville, Ohio. It is an amazing place for beer lovers and the end products are simply amazing. The process for us brewing novices is foolproof!!!

Bsneed51

Lock and Load
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know anyone in the Twin Cities area (Minnesota) you owe it to yourself to hit them up to buy/trade you some Surly Furious. I'm an unapologetic hophead, and this is absolutely the king of the mountain for me. All of Surly's beers are fantastic, especially Coffee Bender, Furious, and Abrasive Ale.

Other IPAs that are fantastic:
Bells Hopslam
Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandi
Pliny the Elder
Troegs Nugget Nectar
Boulevard Double Wide
Southern Tier Hoppe
Hoptimus Prime

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Drinking some Nugget Nectar right now! I love the stuff and it's brewed 10 min down the road.
Nice. Found some last year and am hoping to find some more this year. Currently enjoying:
DFH 60 and 90 minute
Green Flash Hop Head Red
Founders Double Trouble
Still hava a few SN Celebration left from 2010 as well

sloth

5_toed
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
brew it yourself.... or in my lazy ass case... drink you friend's homebrewed double IPA.... that is the best IPA...

that and Tallgrass Oasis, but i sell that so i'm bias...

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Kyle, since your original post I have grown fond of the following IPA's....

He'Brew R.I.P.A. on Rye
Flying Dog Raging Bitch
Left Hand Brewing 400 lb Monkey

I find that I really enjoy English and Belgian-Style India Pale Ale more than any others so far.

Here's more info on Loose Caboose.

The other thing I have noticed is that I find the Illusione ~hl~ Candela and ~88~ Candela both pair wonderfully with either of the English and/or Belgian-Style IPA's that I like too!

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Kyle, since your original post I have grown fond of the following IPA's....

He'Brew R.I.P.A. on Rye
Flying Dog Raging Bitch
Left Hand Brewing 400 lb Monkey

I find that I really enjoy English and Belgian-Style India Pale Ale more than any others so far.

Here's more info on Loose Caboose.
I sourced some of that Lennys RIPA not all that long ago Larry, and I concur...that's one excellent beer! I just wish it were easier to find (and cheaper!!)...although I'm hoping the place I found it will continue to stock it. They only had 6 left (sell em' by the 12 oz bottle), and I took em all.

I recently had a Bear Republic Racer 5 that I really enjoyed.
The Racer 5 is hands down right now my favorite every day IPA. The ONLY one of the many that I've tried that I can find by the 6 pack and more recently, a half-case. The bombers are nice....but I like being able to buy beer by the 6'er of 12 pack. Not too many IPAs that I've been drinking come that way.....one of the few exceptions being the Racer 5.