What's new

Favorite Scotch?

Chas

Bon Vivant
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to receive Glenmorangie as a gift & Lismore, Single Speyside Malt Scotch Whiskey when whatshername is buying (Lismore is surprisingly good for everyday and for deadbeat drovers that pop by - great price ~:0):ccowboy:

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm too new too Scotch to have much input but will enjoy watching the thread. I enjoy Highland Park 12, Johnnie Gold and Blue and I tried some Chieftain's (don't recall exactly what) that was good but different - very smoky.

Now rum on the other hand..........

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Here's the key question, at least for me it was anyway......do you like peaty Scotch...or don't you?

I've only been really drinking Scotch for 6 months or so, so I'm an admitted amateur. If you like really potent "smoky", almost campfire'esque flavors in Scotch, which I don't think is typical of someone just getting into Scotch, then you'll like the Islay Malts (Lagavulin, Laphroaig etc.).

If you DON'T like Peaty Scotch, go with Speyside and Highland and you should be pleased. Speysides are sweeter, and although Highlands do have some peat, it's minimal compared to Islay malts.

One of the first Scotchs I really have enjoyed quite a bit, is the Macallan 12. I've also had the 18, which is amazing, but ridiculously expensive.

A bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask is ultimately what led me to believe I'm not an Islay Malt fan...although I won't write it off as a possibility in the future, b/c it was smooth in weird sorda way.....but that peat was over-powering for me at times.

I've since tried quite a few others that I've come to enjoy....Oban 14 being one, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban and La Santa, Macallan Cask Strength......to name a few.

Hmm.....perhaps this should be the next poll:

Speyside, Highlands, or Islay??

Last edited:

Ed Monton

Sir Winston
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Sounds interesting. I will have to try the Suntory.

If you like the Oban then you should reach for a Talisker 10yo maybe the best 10yo out there imho. Also the Auchentoshan Abundah is very good that actually needs a little water imo and I find it more like a bourbon maybe. Now also if you're an Oban fan and some nice bang for the buck the Japanese stuff Suntory Yamakazi 12yo is very nice stuff for sure. It's a Japanese single malt and you can totally p/u on the saltiness from the air and some nice barrel nuances.

Lorax429

Dagum
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am a really big fan of the Glen Livet 15yr French Oak reserve. Somewhat economical at about $45 a bottle, the french oak finish seems to impart a really nice creamy texture and vanilla notes. I think it is a fantastic scotch for the money.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
:ccowboy:
I can't get past Oban... I just keeping going back to it. I also really like the Maclallan 25 yr. However, I can't afford the 25yr... it's like $300 a bottle.
WHERE can you buy 25 yr old Mac for $300??? I would snap that up quick! Around here it is going for $579.

More in the price range would be the 18 yr old Mac. It sells for $140.

Jeff:cbig:

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Imo best whisky brand is the Macallan and when I can afford it the 30 year old from "fine oak" series is my choise. Also the 12 year old from the same series is very very good!

And Japan produces some really amazing stuff, dont know if it is popular but if you havent do try one, you will be blown away!

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Imo best whisky brand is the Macallan and when I can afford it the 30 year old from "fine oak" series is my choise. Also the 12 year old from the same series is very very good!

And Japan produces some really amazing stuff, dont know if it is popular but if you havent do try one, you will be blown away!
I've never tried any but have a buddy who loves the Yamazaki, says it may be his favorite.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I've never tried any but have a buddy who loves the Yamazaki, says it may be his favorite.
I have a bottle of the Yamakazi 12 and it is very good! Next time I travel I´ll buy a bottle of the 18 year, i hear very good things about it!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still love the Glen Grant 10 year old whisky, smooth and flavoursome or the old Glenturret bottlings of 15 year old were fantastic, unfortunately Famous Grouse took over the distillery and repackaged it and the main Glenturret is now a 10 year old.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hate to say it, but one of my favorite blends is J&B. In the single malts, I like Speyside and most of the Glenmorangies.

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I like to receive Glenmorangie as a gift & Lismore, Single Speyside Malt Scotch Whiskey when whatshername is buying (Lismore is surprisingly good for everyday and for deadbeat drovers that pop by - great price ~:0):ccowboy:
+1 for Lismore... smooth and tasty at a miniscule price point :thumbsup: