What's new

FDA and Pipe Makers

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Hey guys,

Just came across this on Facebook and was a little shocked and horrified at the same time. Can anyone confirm that the FDA will be testing pipes as a part of the new regulations? How much would it cost a maker to have them tested if this is true? Surely not the same as the blends? What would warrant another test I wonder? Like how different could a pipe be with the same test... Confusing, if anyone had any knowledge on the subject I would appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
I thought they havn't even released submission fee's etc.... so how could this gentlemen call it quits so early?

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Dunno mate, just thought I'd ask if anyone knew the ins and outs. There is always the chance he just had enough and it was the out he's been looking for if that is the case.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
It is true, pipes are now considered components and thus will be regulated. I imagine if the guy in the first post is operating just above cost he may not want to go through all the paperwork involved. However, just like bostoneo stated... without knowing what the future holds, why throw in the towel now?

From the FDA website:

In 2016, FDA finalized a rule extending our regulatory authority to cover all tobacco products, including pipe tobacco. FDA now regulates the manufacture, import, packaging, labeling, advertising, promotion, sale, and distribution of pipe tobacco. This includes components and parts such as pipes, but excludes accessories such as lighters.

“Components” or “parts” include, among other things, software or an assembly of materials intended or reasonably expected to alter or affect the tobacco product’s performance, composition, constituents, or characteristics; or to be used with or for the human consumption of a tobacco product. Accessories of newly-regulated tobacco products are not regulated. For a full definition of components, parts, and accessories, please read Deeming Tobacco Products To Be Subject to the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That makes me wonder about bongs. Those are sold as tobacco pipes, I think. I don't know, I've never bought one. I wonder if the FDA will have to approve those too.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Hey guys, as some of you know I am a pipemaker, and that is my sole source of income. Anyhow there are a lot of very vocal on the internet pipe makers and figures who are saying the sky is falling. But the truth is, we just don't know yet. I suspect it won't be anything as severe as what these guys seem to be sure will happen. I am of the mind that the wise thing to do is keep a cool head and keep moving forward.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. The gas for my motorcycles is going higher alcohol and the art work on cigar boxes are under threat.