What's new

Fda

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since the Congress didn't stop it it's heading to the Omnibus office for final works. I say we have a matter or weeks to a few months before affordable cigars are a thing of the past and some companies will be gone.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Since the Congress didn't stop it it's heading to the Omnibus office for final works. I say we have a matter or weeks to a few months before affordable cigars are a thing of the past and some companies will be gone.
http://halfwheel.com/cigar-exemption-not-included-in-omnibus-appropriations-bill/101777

I haven't been following all that closely but it seems, at the very least, that there would not be any additional costs for cigars that were marketed prior to 2007. At least there are some good ones in this category.

The $10 premium thresh hold is most unfortunate. It would probably force everyone to pay $10 for a lot of $5-6 cigars.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Also, I'm not sure what process a cigar manufacturer would need to go through to prove that the cigars they are planning to bring to market are not any more dangerous than other cigars already being offered.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Write and put pressure on your federal legislators. Let them know you are paying attention.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
http://halfwheel.com/cigar-exemption-not-included-in-omnibus-appropriations-bill/101777

The $10 premium thresh hold is most unfortunate. It would probably force everyone to pay $10 for a lot of $5-6 cigars.
Yes it is very unfortunate. If it goes this route instead of manufacturers pushing out $10 cigars for $10, we're gonna see John Cigar Company has increased MSRP to $10 on everything. But at least it won't affect Davidoff for the most part, the brighter side of things!

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
So in a nutshell and being very general, Any cigar blend that was produced at or before the 2007 date will be exempt. Anything after that will have to go through FDA testing and that involves a huge amount of money per blend (from what I understand its like 200K+) Smaller manufacturers will disappear and or will join up with larger corporations who will put the blends through the testing based on if they thing it will continue to basically make money. We looked at the cigars in the shop and about 70% of the stock would be gone. The have 2 years to move the stock but if/when this passes, the regulation starts that day. Crazy and sad but remember its a war not a battle so keep pressing your congressman and keep up with all the emails/requests from your tobacconist and associations. Every vote/email/message/call counts.

Interesting thing that I was thinking of was that since the embargo, none of the cuban blends have been legal here so even with the embargo possibly lifting, if this passes, every blend would have to all go through the FDA testing and if so, I don't see cuban cigars ever making it to retailers here unless something changes in the wording of the ruling. G1

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It wouldn't even take 6 months for most b&m's to unload their inventory. I would imagine right after Xmas that the boutique stuff starts going away first.
As I said before is this will be exactly like buying a handgun in California. It is going to suck. I guess the only good thing is there are good cigars that were blended prior to 2007.

Rating - 100%
231   0   0
It wouldn't even take 6 months for most b&m's to unload their inventory. I would imagine right after Xmas that the boutique stuff starts going away first.
As I said before is this will be exactly like buying a handgun in California. It is going to suck. I guess the only good thing is there are good cigars that were blended prior to 2007.
Like what blends?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Like what blends?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Padron core line, a lot of Fuente, CAO Brazilia, some Pepins, some Ashton.. I'm sure there are more. Maybe companies will revive some old blends that they stopped making.

Maybe companies will release a 10+ dollar smoke and offer a lot of 30-40% off coupons to bring the price down.

Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0
Guess I'll be going back to the greener baccy.
I was just about to ask about that. Look I've got no problem with marijuana, used to smoke it when I was younger. If they ever legalized it completely I'd probably smoke it occasionally, after the kids are grown. That being said, it's crazy we live in a world where people are fighting for weed to be legal all the while fighting to make tobacco illegal. They want the freedom to do what they want, while at the same time taking away someone else's freedoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I was just about to ask about that. Look I've got no problem with marijuana, used to smoke it when I was younger. If they ever legalized it completely I'd probably smoke it occasionally, after the kids are grown. That being said, it's crazy we live in a world where people are fighting for weed to be legal all the while fighting to make tobacco illegal. They want the freedom to do what they want, while at the same time taking away someone else's freedoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ain't it always like that though? One seeking his own self interest