What's new

Feel of the Cigar

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Guys!

After about 6 days in my tupperdor I have a bunch of random singles and they all feel different to the touch. (have been this way before being put in there). Some are quite spongy and others are very firm.

Have had a 72% boveda in with them. What should I do? Just leave the spongy ones out for a little bit until they dry out a little more?

Thought my local B&M would have boveda calibration kit but none did so still waiting for it to come in the mail to use my new hygrometer.

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Might just be the cigars. My humidor has held steady between 65-67 for almost a year, and there are sticks in there that have been in there the whole time. Some of which are hard as rocks, and some are soft and spongy. That's how they were before I put them in there.

I have a Cohiba Black Gigante that I could probably knock someone out with it's so hard.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
It's not the cigars it your humidity. Your RH is way too high. Some are spongy= too humid. Some are hard= way too humid. (There swollen actually) get rid of the 72% and pick up a 65%. The cigars will smoke much better, less relights and more flavor.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
It's not the cigars it your humidity. Your RH is way too high. Some are spongy= too humid. Some are hard= way too humid. (There swollen actually) get rid of the 72% and pick up a 65%. The cigars will smoke much better, less relights and more flavor.
^ Exactly this! I had to learn this the hard way!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same problem. I had a Greycliff yesterday that was very soft and spongy, didn't really feel like it was loosely rolled just very soft if that makes sense. Then there are some Perdomos that I got at the same time and put in my wineador (which is at a rock steady 65%) at the same time that have a great feel of equal parts firm and spongy. I just figured it was the different types of tobaccos or methods of rolling. Then I have a CAO Sopranos sampler that came in a little red box. Those sticks are as hard as a rock! Should I remove them from the red box and let them hang out loose in the wineador for a few weeks?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
^ Exactly this! I had to learn this the hard way!
Triple this! It makes such a huge difference! And, something to remember, it'll take them a while to adjust back to the 65%. I'm learning that with anything cigar related, patience pays off.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
I have the same problem. I had a Greycliff yesterday that was very soft and spongy, didn't really feel like it was loosely rolled just very soft if that makes sense. Then there are some Perdomos that I got at the same time and put in my wineador (which is at a rock steady 65%) at the same time that have a great feel of equal parts firm and spongy. I just figured it was the different types of tobaccos or methods of rolling. Then I have a CAO Sopranos sampler that came in a little red box. Those sticks are as hard as a rock! Should I remove them from the red box and let them hang out loose in the wineador for a few weeks?
Greycliffs are the most spongey cigars I've encountered. It's been ages since I've had one but this is the consensus of many folks. If you're at 65, don't worry, it's just the brand. There's no reason to take the Sopranos out of the fancy box unless you just want to--won't make a difference either way.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
I prefer 69% to 70% RH. Why do you all feel that 65% is better. I think that cigars stored at 65% are too dry.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2
It's totally personal. If you like yours at 70, so be it. I think they perform and taste better at 65, but that's just me. There's nothing wrong with 70. Each has its good and bad. Just be careful going above 70, you can get into trouble there.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I prefer 69% to 70% RH. Why do you all feel that 65% is better. I think that cigars stored at 65% are too dry.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2
^I kinda agree with this range, particularly for long-term storage. From my personal experience, this range provides a nice gentle aging atmosphere. Lower rh levels may increase the aging process at a rate that is too harsh to the tobacco, while a higher rh (not passed 72) slows the process down allowing for the flavors marry.

I do dry-box cigars 24-48 hrs (depending on the blend) prior to smoking.

Just my humble opinion.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thanks for all the info. how long you guys think it would take for super spongy cigars to come back? have a 65% boveda in there now for a couple weeks and its still spongy as hell. Have others in there with the boveda 65% for a couple weeks now and they are still hard as a rock (same feel as when delivered in the mail)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read. When I first started, I went the bead route in my cooler and I sort of messed that one up a lot. Keep in mind that I'm at uber noob status. At the time I didn't realize my hygrometer was off a bit and had to keep adjusting the rh levels. I was shooting for 65% but my meter (looking back at it now) was reading lower than it was so I was probably closer to the 70% range, possibly even higher than that at times. I was smoking them right out of the cooler and to no surprise my smoking experience for the most part was pretty bad. Being a noob, I never paid attention to the feel of the cigar. I had since realized my faults and decided to give it another shot only this time start small with a tupperdor and a boveda pack. Can't wait to see what I've been missing out on!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I have a 19qt tupperdor with empty boxes for shelves and a 69% boveda. Rock steady at 68% to 69%. Some sticks burn perfect some the wrappers have a hard time keeping up with the burn rate of the filler. Would a 65% and a 69% boveda equalize at 67%? This number would seem ideal in my situation. If anyone knows please let us know

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ethan, I think you missed a point several people made. You mention they feel the same as when you bought them. If the store was storing them in a humidor, they should feel the same as when you bought them. Some cigars are spongy and loose, others are tight and firm. It depends on the cigars you buy.

You should not expect you humidor to make a big difference on the hardness level of your cigars compared to when you purchased them. It should maintain them at the proper moisture content for enjoyable smoking. Have you tried to smoke one of your squishy cigars? Does it burn properly? Does it smoke properly? Those mushy cigars may be as intended, not over moist.

It sounds like you have settled on the 65%, which is the humidity level I prefer, too.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have a 19qt tupperdor with empty boxes for shelves and a 69% boveda. Rock steady at 68% to 69%. Some sticks burn perfect some the wrappers have a hard time keeping up with the burn rate of the filler. Would a 65% and a 69% boveda equalize at 67%? This number would seem ideal in my situation. If anyone knows please let us know
Why not throw in a 65 and call it good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free