What's new

Feels like a stupid question....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But I gotta ask anyway! :grin:

This past weekend I finally, finally got a chance to smoke a good number of the cigars I picked up over the past month. I believe I got through 5 if memory serves correctly. I'd write reviews, but honestly my taste palette is so weak that all they'd consist of would be "Smooth, mild and I liked it" or "Harsh, didn't like it so much" So I'm still working on the tasting....

Anyway, on to the question. One of the fine smokes I had was a Hemingway short story that I got in a newbie sampler. Nice smoke, although I didn't pick up a huge difference from the chateau fuente. Must go back to that unrefined taste I mentioned earlier.

I sat down next to my Uncle who had just fired up a CAO, (red band and boxed pressed, that's all I know) Anyway I snipped the head and the realized.... Man, do I snip the foot as well?? I really had no idea!! Well, I didn't and ended up having some uneven burn issues until I got up through that bulbous portion of the cigar... Enjoyed it otherwise.

So.... after ALL that, should I have cut the foot??? :help:

P.S. my other smokes?
AF chateau fuente maduro - big thumbs up
Ashton aged maduro #10 - big thumbs up, but I'm not convinced at all that it's worth nearly twice the price of the AF maduro
Indian Tabac Reserve Candela - thumbs down, grassy perhaps??
Royal Jamaican Gold - Thumbs up, similar to a chateau fuente natural
AF short story - thumbs up will have to compare to a AF CF again.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
But I gotta ask anyway! :grin:

This past weekend I finally, finally got a chance to smoke a good number of the cigars I picked up over the past month. I believe I got through 5 if memory serves correctly. I'd write reviews, but honestly my taste palette is so weak that all they'd consist of would be "Smooth, mild and I liked it" or "Harsh, didn't like it so much" So I'm still working on the tasting....

Anyway, on to the question. One of the fine smokes I had was a Hemingway short story that I got in a newbie sampler. Nice smoke, although I didn't pick up a huge difference from the chateau fuente. Must go back to that unrefined taste I mentioned earlier.

I sat down next to my Uncle who had just fired up a CAO, (red band and boxed pressed, that's all I know) Anyway I snipped the head and the realized.... Man, do I snip the foot as well?? I really had no idea!! Well, I didn't and ended up having some uneven burn issues until I got up through that bulbous portion of the cigar... Enjoyed it otherwise.

So.... after ALL that, should I have cut the foot??? :help:

P.S. my other smokes?
AF chateau fuente maduro - big thumbs up
Ashton aged maduro #10 - big thumbs up, but I'm not convinced at all that it's worth nearly twice the price of the AF maduro
Indian Tabac Reserve Candela - thumbs down, grassy perhaps??
Royal Jamaican Gold - Thumbs up, similar to a chateau fuente natural
AF short story - thumbs up will have to compare to a AF CF again.
That would be the Tubo I or Tubo II.

Good question. Its not really a salmone with a twisted but opne end but rather two finished ends. Normally you would cut one and light the twisted unfinished end. With these, new ground...

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I am not familiar with this particulat vitola. IMO if you get a decent draw before lighting, then no need to cut the foot is my rule with similar sounding sticks.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
From reading what Chuck wrote, the foot is closed, so you wouldn't even have a pre-light draw.

Maybe a little snip is the correct way to go in this circumstance.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
From reading what Chuck wrote, the foot is closed, so you wouldn't even have a pre-light draw.

Maybe a little snip is the correct way to go in this circumstance.
I just pulled it up on the CAO website because the only Salmone I knew of was the Brazilia Python. This looked finished at both ends.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Unless you have a table torch like Fredneck then torch the foot off, no need to snip anything, for the latter best to check with Wasch_24. :rofl:

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Wait a sec....you are asking about the Hemingway Short Story or the CAO?

Either way, the answer to your question is NO!
You definitely don't cut the foot on the Short Story. I can't think of one cigar that has the foot completely closed. They may be tapered to a small opening like on the Short Story but there's enough room for a draw.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I read the question as you are asking about the foot of the Short Story...not your Uncle's cigar.

You do not clip the foot of the Hemingway series cigars.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay thanks for all the help! Yes I was asking about the Hemingway and the foot is finished and allowed a draw... it was just so small that I wasn't sure how to properly prepare it.

Now I know! :applause:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
You have to pay careful attention as to how you light those. They are very easy to have an uneven burn so take your time and get it to burn evenly from the start. Don't be afraid to touch it up if it does wander though.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
The CAO the uncle was smoking would have been a CAO Maduro cigar.
Good question though Coyote 5. Nice to see another Person from the Frozen state of WI. in here