What's new

Fermented Pickles!

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Anybody ever fermented dill pickles? I have always made dills with pickling brine...and they are fantastic. This is the first time I have tried fermenting. I'm one week in and its bubbling. I check it every day to scrape off the scum as per the directions. Recipe says to wait about three weeks and then can. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

There is a layer of dill at the bottom, then cucumbers, and a bunch of garlic on top, all in a 5 gallon bucket. I would be concerned if my beer looked like this, but this is exactly what I would expect with this process.

IMG_20170902_212254935.jpg

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Anybody ever fermented dill pickles? I have always made dills with pickling brine...and they are fantastic. This is the first time I have tried fermenting. I'm one week in and its bubbling. I check it every day to scrape off the scum as per the directions. Recipe says to wait about three weeks and then can. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

There is a layer of dill at the bottom, then cucumbers, and a bunch of garlic on top, all in a 5 gallon bucket. I would be concerned if my beer looked like this, but this is exactly what I would expect with this process.

View attachment 101066
Any update on the finished product?

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Well...I think something went wrong. The mixture never cleared like it was supposed to and the first few layers of pickles had white goo on them.
I tasted one from near the bottom...tasted good actually...a little sweet, which was unexpected. I ended up dumping them because they didn't turn out as I expected...but it was my first time and I had no reference. Maybe they were fine. I'll never know.