What's new

Fernandez v Garcia suit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any brand owners been affected by this yet? Has Fernandez started or threatened to withhold tobacco and/or manufacturing? Any guys in the industry wanna comment on thoughts or concerns? I know I'm worried being a fan of tatuaje, la aroma de Cuba, dpg, eo. I want to hold of judgement until i know more facts but DPG definitely has some explaining to do.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is from March 28, 2011

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/florida/flsdce/1:2010cv22990/363615/34/

Is short, Fernandez and the Garcia's are partners in "El Rey De Los Habanos", while the Garcia's wholly own "My Father Cigars". Fernandez is alleging that the Garcia's unlawfully transferred trademarks belonging to El Rey to My Father to usurp El Rey's business relationships.

This was news to me also, and I'm not sure if the link above is the most recent news.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
DrRaul... Have you seen our introduction area of the forum, yet? Head over and introduce yourself, please... Introduce yourself here

I've been hearing a lot about this, lately. I hope it can all get worked out, without either side sustaining too much damage.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To summarize: Fernandez, a wealthy businessman, put up all the capital for the El Rey factory and business while Garcia brought to the table knowledge and experience. In return he gave a 50% stake to the Garcia family. The factory went on to produce Tatuaje, DPG and other cigars. Years pass and DPG opens up his OWN factory in Nicaragua transferring the manufacturing of some cigars to that factory. Not only did Garcia set up a competing concern while working at El Rey, he transferred some manufacturing to his competing factory.

On a separate note, I wonder how much Fernandez was involved in bringing over(paying for) Garcia and his family from cuba.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
It's tough to pass any judgements on either of the parties... I really feel this is going to be a 3-sided story, and may neither one be completely in the right or wrong.

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This won't/shouldnt affect anything...
Eduardo Fernandez has long been Pepín's supplier of Nicaraguan tobacco, thins have already been affected, impact should be visible within a few months.

Quite frankly, this has the potential to be catastrophic. I haven't been able to confirm exact details, but if say Fernandez refused to sell Pepín or Pepín's clients tobacco, it would become a large problem likely leading to Pepín having to source tobacco from ASP/Oliva, as his farms aren't big enough to supply his tobacco needs.

I don't know if this is related, but Pete switched Brown Label's wrapper from Nicaraguan Corojo to Ecuadorian Corojo the same month the lawsuit was filed.

Like I mentioned when I put the story up, there's another proceeding in the dissolving of TACUBA in Nicaragua, which could also expose some interesting info.

Last edited:

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
On another note, if Pepin and Casa Fernandez completely break off relations there'll be a shitload of extra great tobacco left for Dion to play with!! Love me some Aganorsa leaf.

thegoldenmackid

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
On another note, if Pepin and Casa Fernandez completely break off relations there'll be a shitload of extra great tobacco left for Dion to play with!!
Yes. Dion, Farkas, Alan Rubin, Padilla, etc.

Platino, Oro, Illusione core, Singularé, Epernay, Brown Label, Art Deco... all Corojo 99, presumably all from Fernandez.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Eduardo Fernandez has long been Pepín's supplier of Nicaraguan tobacco, thins have already been affected, impact should be visible within a few months.

Quite frankly, this has the potential to be catastrophic. I haven't been able to confirm exact details, but if say Fernandez refused to sell Pepín or Pepín's clients tobacco, it would become a large problem likely leading to Pepín having to source tobacco from ASP, as his farms aren't big enough to supply his tobacco needs.

I don't know if this is related, but Pete switched Brown Label's wrapper from Nicaraguan Corojo to Ecuadorian Corojo the same month the lawsuit was filed.

Like I mentioned when I put the story up, there's another proceeding in the dissolving of TACUBA in Nicaragua, which could also expose some interesting info.
I knew you'd show up, thanks for the article it made it easier to understand the history and the implications.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This is already a big change imo, but not necessarily for the worst. The ecuadorian wrapper is very very good. Here's to hoping things won't change much from here on.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Hope this all gets worked out, but it seems that the business relationships are going to be affected WAY more than what the lawsuit brings.

Looking at the article and lawsuit document it is only for $75k.

thegoldenmackid

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hope this all gets worked out, but it seems that the business relationships are going to be affected WAY more than what the lawsuit brings.

Looking at the article and lawsuit document it is only for $75k.
As I mentioned in my article (give it's a bit confusing to those not familiar to Federal Court):
You may see the $75,000 figure on the image above, that’s not the actual amount that is being sued for, rather, my understanding is that is a minimum figure needed for the court to handle this type of case.
BTW, I'd expect some time this week I'll be able to share with you some more news about this, should clear up some things.

(Now changing my article title to reflect we were a week ahead of CA, again, screw yourself Savona...)

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Without knowing all the facts, I would think an out of court settlement would be in dpg best interest. I'm concerned for Pete as it appears he is stuck in the middle. Hope it is all resolved in a amicable manner.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
FYI,

I haven't used any AGANORSA leaf since late 2006.

So this will not change anything in it's current state.

Everyone should think a bit before passing judgment.

Pete

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Also I haven't used Corojo 99 since that time also. I'm not sure where you get your info from Charlie?

And, Art Deco is not Corojo 99.

Status
Not open for further replies.