What's new

Figurado October 2018

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Ok here it is! Day 31!

Tatuaje The Krueger box pressed torpedo! Happy Halloween!

So that makes 31 unique figurados smoked, only one per day, each one named and photographed while lit. Did anyone else manage to fulfill the requirements for the month? I like my chances

Things I learned: I both love and hate torpedos. I had more than a few with draw problems, and maybe 2/5ths of them developed tar blobs while smoking. I learned to carry my cutter and PerfecDraw with me while smoking these. In the case where the cigars where something I'd smoked before, I believe I did notice some concentration of flavors. I think this is due to a direct funneling of the smoke to a specific part of the tongue on the draw, more than a difference in the cigar itself. When I would eventually clip off the tapered part of torpedos, whether to improve the draw or to get rid of tar, I found the flavors to spread out a little more, more like what I normally experience. So in some cases there was a little more finesse required/cigars were more finicky, and some cases where it would be a perfectly sublime experience, particularly the JGRE TAA which was simply amazing. I love the look of perfectos, and feel like Bender on the cover of Arrogant Cigar Jerk Magazine when I smoke them.

I found perfectos to, in general, have far fewer issues than torpedos. This confirms (in my head, at least) that is usually the most talented rollers in a factory who make these. I'll be purchasing many more perfectos moving forward, and probably fewer torpedos.

In short, this was a truly awesome way to experience a ton of new cigars, and I'm thankful for the great idea. It was a lot of fun. Thanks @Opforty

Opforty

B&M Bomber
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Ok here it is! Day 31!

Tatuaje The Krueger box pressed torpedo! Happy Halloween!

So that makes 31 unique figurados smoked, only one per day, each one named and photographed while lit. Did anyone else manage to fulfill the requirements for the month? I like my chances

Things I learned: I both love and hate torpedos. I had more than a few with draw problems, and maybe 2/5ths of them developed tar blobs while smoking. I learned to carry my cutter and PerfecDraw with me while smoking these. In the case where the cigars where something I'd smoked before, I believe I did notice some concentration of flavors. I think this is due to a direct funneling of the smoke to a specific part of the tongue on the draw, more than a difference in the cigar itself. When I would eventually clip off the tapered part of torpedos, whether to improve the draw or to get rid of tar, I found the flavors to spread out a little more, more like what I normally experience. So in some cases there was a little more finesse required/cigars were more finicky, and some cases where it would be a perfectly sublime experience, particularly the JGRE TAA which was simply amazing. I love the look of perfectos, and feel like Bender on the cover of Arrogant Cigar Jerk Magazine when I smoke them.

I found perfectos to, in general, have far fewer issues than torpedos. This confirms (in my head, at least) that is usually the most talented rollers in a factory who make these. I'll be purchasing many more perfectos moving forward, and probably fewer torpedos.

In short, this was a truly awesome way to experience a ton of new cigars, and I'm thankful for the great idea. It was a lot of fun. Thanks @Opforty
I smoked the same stick for Halloween but the pic won't upload

Thank you to everyone who participated this year! 550 posts later and we did it. I'll be going through this thread in the next few days and counting all the entries. Like I said before, this years theme is leniency. Since I changed the rules the day before the contest started for my own selfish (aka I'm lazy) reasons, I'm giving everyone who made an effort entries. Except for the people who posted the curly caps. You done goofed. Next year I'll be a stickler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
"Things I learned: I both love and hate torpedos. I had more than a few with draw problems, and maybe 2/5ths of them developed tar blobs while smoking."

yes, you should win for that.
no one in the world has ever had 40% tar blobs.
congrats

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
"Things I learned: I both love and hate torpedos. I had more than a few with draw problems, and maybe 2/5ths of them developed tar blobs while smoking."

congrats
I've noticed that tar seldom developed with lower cc rh levels. Unicos especially

Rating - 100%
41   0   0

congrats
Mostly this started becoming a problem when I was purchasing from B&Ms strictly for the contest, probably due to not being able to give them time to properly acclimate to my preferred 65%.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
"Mostly this started becoming a problem when I was purchasing from B&Ms strictly for the contest, probably due to not being able to give them time to properly acclimate to my preferred 65%."

of course, everyone who has ever smoked a cigar directly from a B&M knows this.
probably.
Tar blobs. Mmm-Mmm Mmm..........

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Mostly this started becoming a problem when I was purchasing from B&Ms strictly for the contest, probably due to not being able to give them time to properly acclimate to my preferred 65%.
I wondered about that. I didn't have any tar blobs with all those torpedos.