What's new

Fillet Knives

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
For the last few years I've used a cheap no-name walmart fillet knife to clean my fish. I'm tired of the terrible blade and I'm ready to spend a little more on something of quality. I do have a mister twister electric fillet knife for home so I'm looking for a traditional knife to use water side. I'll mostly be cleaning mountain trout, catfish, and crappie. Do you guys have any recommendations under $40 or so?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I had actually bookmarked a dexter, bubba, rapala(marttiini), and gerber. I ended up ordering a dexter late last night because it had stellar reviews, was less than half the price of the bubba, and the rapala was out until after christmas. I'm going on a short trip the 26th so I need it by then. Thanks for the insight!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I actually own most of the versions listed above plus a few. They are all good knives that you won’t be disappointed with no matter which you choose. That being said though, I’ll say this. Most times that I clean fish at home, I reach for my electric knife to fillet & the smaller rapala to cut the ribs out of the fillets. My Bubba Blade & Kershaw are usually the ones I take with me on vacation to the saltwater & work well for redfish, trout, kingfish, & larger saltwater species. But, the one that I use most besides the electric, & the one that I think may be most suitable for what you’re describing doing, is the outdoor edge folding knife. I have two of um. One stays in my truck & the other in my camper along with my dexter. I’ve used them to fillet many of each of the species you listed & never had an issue. It’s usually what I pack if we’re doing an overnight camping trip or a day river float if we’re planning on cleaning what we catch & having a riverside lunch or camp dinner. They’re worth picking one up for the price just to have around even if you’ve already purchased something else.
Outdoor Edge Field Bone, FBB-2, Fish Fillet and Game Deboning Folding 5 Inch Fillet Knife, Blaze Orage with Mossy Oak Sheath https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X1HHUI4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_utmgCbP5TVE6D
6C47FA65-D0BF-4DA1-8B04-812311B311FF.jpeg

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Here is the one I settled on. The knife and sheath shipped to my door for less than $20. I haven't used it yet but it is extremley sharp straight out of the box.

That'll work!!! It's a great knife. Wish I had a sheath for mine.