What's new

Finally I'm DONE!!! I built my detached cigar smoking room....

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
Okay guys....I've officially COMPLETED my much anticipated project.....PRAISE GOD!!!

Build a detached cigar smoking room at my house.

I've been considering and mentally planning it for few years now....I had a little extra $ saved up and some time off of work(4 weeks maternity leave for my daughter born in march).

Anyways, Many of you have been following the other thread, the progress, so now here is the completed build!

UPDATES: PICS on page 4, post #47 of this thread.
-TV is in and up(2008),
-Out with the original AC/heater floor unit, in with a great 2-ton mini-split system(3/2009),
-Added Dynamic CT500 Air Cleaner Console Smoke Eater. (summer 2009)
-Added cigar artwork by Mike Uhren. (summer 2009)
-Updated some pics on this thread (Jan 2011)

The theme of the room is what I always imagined/wanted it to be...dark woods, dark leather couches, and dark red paint. Kind of the classic "cigar room" style.

The table and cigar thumbs up sign, and outside sign were made by my father-in-law(he is a avid smoker too and a great friend), at his machine shop he designed the items, cut the materials and made the items. The table is real granite with a inlay for the ashtray to sit into.

The WHOLE build from start to finish took exactly 25 days....straight. 6-12 hours a day. 95% of the work/time was done by me alone. I had buddies help when I needed them and they were off work. The only thing I paid someone to do was the drywall/taping/texturing the walls....I was to tired to do it.

I've been asked about cost a lot:
For the building itself materials where about $4000.
Then I got the couches, tv, a/c unit, etc....which were about $3000 more. So total I think was about $7000.
Thankfully it could be considered an investment...it supposedly adds over $14,000 value to my home/property.

I'm not a building construction guy for my career, I've only done 2 projects like this in the past which were much more basic, but I didn't remember much from them.
A book on framing and phone calls to some family and friends for help and some knowledge was all it took.

Please feel free to post question or comments, I'm happy to respond when I get a chance, and will be happy to pass on helpful tips for anyone trying to build a similar set-up.

Background: of course I wanted the thing to be as huge as possible, i wasn't even concerned about the backyard loss(especially because my house is 3 houses from a 8 acre park...plenty of room for the kids), BUT I did not want to deal with the city and getting a permit.
SO because of that I decided to do the largest size room allowed without a permit. 120 sq feet. 10'x12'....the size of an average spare bedroom in most modern day houses.
Its only about 60% of the size I originally wanted but I can still have a few leather couches, the mini fridge, the scotch/liqueur shelf, wall-mounted flat screen, and a table.

Cheers,
Matt
(artofdesign)

Thanks to God...the room will be used to glorify him!
And thanks to my wife for being so cool about this room, she is the best!

Attachments

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
68   0   1

Attachments

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
OK i made it through the pictures of Matt's collection, but this has officially made me jealous. Smoke something great in there for the inauguration

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
OK i made it through the pictures of Matt's collection, but this has officially made me jealous. Smoke something great in there for the inauguration
One day, you'll get the chance to have one if you really try!

I have been smoking great stuff in honor of the new room! First smoke was a 2 year aged opusx...and I actually didn't totally love it, good just not great to my taste buds...but thats for a different post. Besides that, its been all my favorite smokes!

Last edited:

mnelson

Matthew
Rating - 98.3%
104   1   0
One day, you'll get the chance to have one if you really try!

I have been smoking great stuff in honor of the new room! First smoke was a 2 year aged opusx...and I actually didn't totally love it, good just not great to my taste buds...but thats for a different post. Besides that, its been all my favorite smokes!
Since you dont like 2 yr old opus x's i will take them all :grin:

Seriously though, we can set up a trade if you want

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
Since you dont like 2 yr old opus x's i will take them all :grin:

Seriously though, we can set up a trade if you want
Sorry bro, I only had that one, thanks to a BOTL from here, he sold me one from his collection.

I was glad to try it and i did enjoy it, I just could not pay that much for them. I'm down with getting killer premium smokes for $3-$5.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
That turned out great. When I get back home and buy a house I will have you come over and build me one.
Seriously great job. Love the wall color. I am jealous also.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
totally awesome!!

question. when is the open house? i have relatives all throughout the central valley,,, and i hear that someone's trying to put together a herf in your parts??