What's new

Finally pulled the trigger on a wine cooler!

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just checked my tracking number and it should get delivered today instead of Tuesday that it was originally scheduled for! Yay!!!

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok, so far, I am very impressed with Compactappliance.com Shipped the edgestar 4 hours after the order was placed, and it looked as though it would be at my doorstep on this coming Tuesday because of the holiday. I just got notice that it was delivered onto my deck just now. I wish I wasn't stuck at work!
Pics to follow, in a few hours after I get home.
Scott

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Here are some pics as I unpacked the Edgestar...

Double boxed, padded with styrofoam!

Out of the box, next to the beer fridge.. What a great combo.. Beer fridge and humidor side by side!

Side shot:

As I opened the door:

Without the shelves:

Close up of temp control:

More to come as I document the conversion.. Surprisingly it didn't really smell too plastic like.. I let it air out for a couple hours, and have now thrown a few cigar boxes in there and shut the door.. We'll see how it does.. Its unplugged at the moment. I'll be leaving tommorow and probably won't be home again until Sunday night, so I will check it out then.. It should be good to go by then, and I can start seasoning it to get it up to temp. Hopefully I have enough beads! If not, I'll just have to order more!
Scott

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Congrats bro! that's a great buy.

Are wine fridges available in Bahrain?
Yes they are bro.

Here are some pics as I unpacked the Edgestar...

Double boxed, padded with styrofoam!

Out of the box, next to the beer fridge.. What a great combo.. Beer fridge and humidor side by side!

Side shot:

As I opened the door:

Without the shelves:

Close up of temp control:

More to come as I document the conversion.. Surprisingly it didn't really smell too plastic like.. I let it air out for a couple hours, and have now thrown a few cigar boxes in there and shut the door.. We'll see how it does.. Its unplugged at the moment. I'll be leaving tommorow and probably won't be home again until Sunday night, so I will check it out then.. It should be good to go by then, and I can start seasoning it to get it up to temp. Hopefully I have enough beads! If not, I'll just have to order more!
Scott
This is going to look awesome Scott. Looking forward to your updates

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I look forward to updating you all. I am leaving tonight, and probably won't be back till sunday night to check on it, but I left the door open to air out.... We'll see how she does. If I still have a little plastic smell, I will wipe it down with some water and mild soap. Now I am off to order some more beads!
Scott

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
After some thoughts, it looks like I need to plug the drain on this puppy. The beads are fighting to maintain 62% humidity... I think its because of the drain not being plugged, allowing humidity to escape.
Scott

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
After some thoughts, it looks like I need to plug the drain on this puppy. The beads are fighting to maintain 62% humidity... I think its because of the drain not being plugged, allowing humidity to escape.
Scott
Thanks for all the info and pictures, I appreciate it! I just got my Edgestar delivered 2 days ago and am in the prep stages. Mine had a really strong smell to it, so I will be wiping it down with baking soda and water.

Question though... how are you plugging your drain? I will be trying mine out without plugging it first to see what the humidity level will do and then will plug if necessary. I just don't want to plug it permanently in case I need to sell it or use it for wine down the road for whatever reason.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Question though... how are you plugging your drain? I will be trying mine out without plugging it first to see what the humidity level will do and then will plug if necessary. I just don't want to plug it permanently in case I need to sell it or use it for wine down the road for whatever reason.
Electrical tape over the hole and put some beads in some nylons on top of that to absorb the water that may collect there

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
SON-OF-A-BITCH

I *just* figured out who the EF you are now. LOL!!!! I knew I'd seen your screen name somewhere before, now it all makes sense....you're the Amsoil guy on Pirates!

:rofl:

I was a yellow star guy selling DVDs a few years ago (total financial failure, but lotsa fun) and I remember seeing you there.

Duh! All makes sense now! :applause:

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
For the plug, I just used a rubber stopper from home depot... but electrical tape is going to be just as good.

Either way yo go, you definitely want the hole sealed. Less work overall for the beads to have to do.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Mine is now filled with wine. Just couldn't make it worth the effort. Good luck with yours.

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for all the info and pictures, I appreciate it! I just got my Edgestar delivered 2 days ago and am in the prep stages. Mine had a really strong smell to it, so I will be wiping it down with baking soda and water.

The drain is on the backside of the edgestar. On the outside. If you go to home depot of lowes, and get yourself a 5/16"-18 acorn nut, and screw it onto the nipple on the backside. Its that easy.
Scott

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
SON-OF-A-BITCH

I *just* figured out who the EF you are now. LOL!!!! I knew I'd seen your screen name somewhere before, now it all makes sense....you're the Amsoil guy on Pirates!

:rofl:

I was a yellow star guy selling DVDs a few years ago (total financial failure, but lotsa fun) and I remember seeing you there.

Duh! All makes sense now! :applause:
Duane,
You are correct! I still sell Amsoil, but I need to make a profit this year, so the $$ for a vendor star on Pirates was out of the question for now. Things have been slow for me, so I haven't pursued the Amsoil thing for a while. I am a pursuing my cigar habit more now :D
Nice to see you here brotha!
Scott

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Yeah, I'm not pursuing the DVD thing anymore because I couldn't make enough profit from it. I clocked about 20K on it in 2 years, after putting in 15K investment. If you figured in my time, that 5K profit worked out to about $5.50/hour. I could make more at McDonalds than that. LOL!!!