What's new

Finally took the plunge

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
That was a great and informative video series, thanks @Alwayslit !

So far I'm enjoying the pipe, I'm just finishing up another bowl. I seemed to have gotten this one packed pretty good and didn't have to relight it until about halfway. My wife is concerned that I'm starting another "collection", but she's the one that wanted to go to the antique store where I came across this ....
20200920_115843.jpg
At $14 I couldn't pass it up, no cracks and only a couple very minor Knicks.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
It looks like you have 2 pipes? If so that good because you can alternate them and let the other rest. Please don't light them with a torch, use a soft flame :smuggrin:

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
It looks like you have 2 pipes? If so that good because you can alternate them and let the other rest. Please don't light them with a torch, use a soft flame :smuggrin:
Yes sir, after I bought the first pipe and accessories the wife and I went antiquing where I found the second one. I know next to nothing about pipes but it seemed like a decent pipe and was only $14. The tag said Estate pipe and it's printed with "Mello Root" and right below that says "Lion head" but he lion head is XXXX over.

I've read a couple different recommendations about resting a pipe after using it but there is a lot of conflicting information out there. Based on reading, I figure I'll use one for the day and let it rest the next day. What does everyone recommend as far as that goes?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yes sir, after I bought the first pipe and accessories the wife and I went antiquing where I found the second one. I know next to nothing about pipes but it seemed like a decent pipe and was only $14. The tag said Estate pipe and it's printed with "Mello Root" and right below that says "Lion head" but he lion head is XXXX over.

I've read a couple different recommendations about resting a pipe after using it but there is a lot of conflicting information out there. Based on reading, I figure I'll use one for the day and let it rest the next day. What does everyone recommend as far as that goes?
I smoke 1 bowl from 1 pipe and once that’s done, I’ll move to another pipe. Hence the “rotation of pipes” begins.
There’s also the Morgan “bones” pipe that I beat the hell out of and have smoked multiple bowls from in the same day without issue. YMMV. But you’re off to a great start. Enjoy the slippery slopes!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Cobs are an inexpensive way to expand the rotation. I find I like my cobs as much or better than any other pipes I have.
I prefer the cob pipes myself. With a nice briar I end up more worried about messing up the pipe than getting a good smoke.

I can toss a cob in the glove box of the truck and know that if it breaks I'm out $5 or $10 bucks. Most likely it will survive and I can smoke when the notion hits. On the way to work, watching my kid play at the park, whatever it is, the cob is a companion you don't have to worry about.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0

you’ll be fine smoking one for a day, let it cool off between bowls and clean it when you’re done for the day. The primary reason for resting a pipe is so that it has a chance to dry out, briar absorbs very little moisture to start with so as long as you keep it clean your good. If you stuff a paper towel into the bowl and twist it a few times almost all that moisture will come out, then a cleaner down the bit & shank.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I guess I'll have to pick up a cob pipe when I'm at my local b&m next, based on all the praise they seem to receive. Thanks everyone for all the feedback on this journey so far.
If you’re interested missouri meershaum sells “smokeable seconds” in bags of 10. They’re good cobs but didn’t meet quality control so they’ll have some flaws. But might be a good start.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Cobs are great smoking pipes! My preferred work pipe is a cob.Really the only draw back is the BS plastic stem they put on em, I finally broke down and bought a forever stem for it, I should have bought several since it appears that they’re not available anymore.
ive heard a lot of people say that they are ‘disposable’ and I guess that for what they cost they can be, but they don’t have to be. I bought this one in 2013 and have abused the crap out of it. It typically gets smoked 3-5 times a day 5 days a week, it’s been dropped off roofs, left out in the rain and chewed on by the cat! And it still give a constant, sweet smoke.E8DEFFFC-6B7E-41C1-B190-A5188F032B04.jpeg

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I think cobs are probably the most versatile pipes out there. They are incredibly resilient and they make some that are actually pretty fancy looking. I always bring my cobs during field training and on deployments, have dropped them, smoked multiple bowls back to back with no issues. They pretty much take care of themselves and if you do break them super cheap to replace.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0

Great place to buy a cob.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I smoke a pipe daily. And i use a torch lighter frequently . I use a single flame torch. I find that its easier to keep the rim from getting dirty. have never had it over heat or crack a pipe either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Cobs are great smoking pipes! My preferred work pipe is a cob.Really the only draw back is the BS plastic stem they put on em, I finally broke down and bought a forever stem for it, I should have bought several since it appears that they’re not available anymore.
ive heard a lot of people say that they are ‘disposable’ and I guess that for what they cost they can be, but they don’t have to be. I bought this one in 2013 and have abused the crap out of it. It typically gets smoked 3-5 times a day 5 days a week, it’s been dropped off roofs, left out in the rain and chewed on by the cat! And it still give a constant, sweet smoke.View attachment 154077
The people who used to make the forever stems have closed up shop, BUT someone else did take over and are continuing the legacy minus the little white dot on the actual stem and I’m sure a few other changes. I can’t remember who took over for them.....but they’re out there again.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I smoke a pipe daily. And i use a torch lighter frequently . I use a single flame torch. I find that its easier to keep the rim from getting dirty. have never had it overheat or crack a pipe either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad to hear but I wouldn't ever recommend using a torch on a pipe. Your running the risk of burning the pipe out. A torch is way too hot for briar.