BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Last edited:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I'm not a big fan of Time because they tend to be rather myopic in their perspective, but this article was actually pretty good. It didn't cover everything, of course, and that article from Real Clear Politics filled a major gap (thanks for that link too!). Obviously, the problem was a combination of both. Subprime mortgages started off as a Congressional mandate due to some politically correct BS, but then banks took the idea...to the bank.

Basically, the situation sucks.

I hate the fact that Congress came up with a stupid plan that came back to bite us in the ass 20 years later, and no one is owning up to that. I hate the fact that "Wall Street" was stupid and greedy and yet the American people have to pay for their mistakes. I also hate the fact that the government will bail out those latter idiots in their mess but the thousands of American citizens that are defaulting on their mortgages and loosing their houses (like my war-hero cousin recently returned from 2 years in Iraq to be met with bankruptcy and the loss of his house) just have to suck it up.

It's recockulous and unfair.

However, I do understand that Bush basically had no choice but to bail out AIG, etc., because if he didn't, we might see worldwide economic collapse in just a few months.

I hope this will at least be a wake-up call to people who regularly spend 110% or more of their income every year. Our debt (personal and national) will kill us if we're not careful. The Hammer of Damocles is threatening to fall.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
. . .snip. . .
I hope this will at least be a wake-up call to people who regularly spend 110% or more of their income every year. Our debt (personal and national) will kill us if we're not careful. The Hammer of Damocles is threatening to fall. . .snip. . .
This brings up another very salient point. Part of the problem was cheap credit for everyone via low interest rates and the idea that an economy can be "grown" forever. It was not just a "keep up with the Jones family", phenomenon. Low interest rates killed incentive to save and forced money into markets for better rates of return. Everyone began seeking better rates of return and assumed ever higher levels of risk. I can recall getting as much as 6% on a passbook account at my local bank as late as the early 90's. I seem to recall that between the mid 1960's and the early 90's, the savings rate stayed between 5% and 6.5%. Banks were flush with cash during those times (the Carter years were an exception) and it was very worthwhile to keep some of your portfolio in real cash assets. Right now, you are lucky to get 3% - 4% on a long term CD. Interest rates absolutely need to go up over the longer term to recreate the saver mentality. Right now it would be disastrous since the banks need cheap credit to survive. We have created the proverbial "Catch-22" situation.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I do like the "RTC" type of institution that Paulson is proposing. The Fed and Treasury need to do their jobs and not put their balance sheets up for grabs. Let the RTC buy off the illiquid assets of the financial institutions. This will get them off their books.